cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if I change the account password, will I need to factory reset the router?

FIXED
cobcottageonlin
Grafter
Fixes: 1

if I change the account password, will I need to factory reset the router?

Hi.  I've changed the account password at plusnet website - router is fine but a neighbour said that lights will go red and will fail to connect in a couple of days time.  True/false?

8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: if I change the account password, will I need to factory reset the router?

Fix

The router should automatically update with the new password, however if you do find that you are unable to connect and the internet light goes red then a factory reset will get you back online.

You can also update the connection password stored in the router manually:

To do this:
- Open a web browser
- Go to 192.168.1.254
- Log in to the router if prompted (the username and password are printed on the router)
- Go to the broadband or connection settings
- Change the connection password to your password
- Click connect

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ferdi_zimmer
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I have the same question. On the Plusnet Hub One page for my router, I can see settings > broadband but nothing, where I could change the password. Do I have to click Disconnect?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

If you change your account password, your router should pick this up automatically.

If it doesn't and if the connection drops in the future/cannot reconnect, then yeah you could either factory reset the router, or click disconnect in the router settings and update the password.

I hope this helps.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dave_hitchen

Hi,

Just wanted to be clear about how these passwords are managed, for future reference.
From reading this & the other forum threads, it appears to be as follows:

1) A Member Centre Account password change will automatically propagate the new password to:

a) Email Account default mailbox password
    b) Broadband Connection password inside Router settings

Passwords remaining unchanged are:

a) Router password as specified on the back of the Router
    b) Wi-Fi  password as specified on the back of the Router
    c) Email mailbox passwords subsequently created in addition to the Default mailbox

2) These latter unchanged passwords are all standalone and changed separately as & when required.

3) A change to the Member Centre Account password should not require any other action to allow the Plusnet Broadband connection to continue to work. As long as your router remains connected during the change & the password is successfully propagated to the Broadband Connection password inside the Router settings.

Please could you confirm my understanding of each of the above.

Thanks very much.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Spot on. Thumbs_Up
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RichieP

Hi there.

I have the situation where I changed my membership password which it appears did not propagate to the router as I have now lost my BB connection.

I subsequently entered the routers ip to try and logon to change the password, but the logon screen was not displayed.

I tried a factory reset using the reset button on the back of the router, but still no internet connection.

I entered the ip again and got the logon screen, but the original password as noted on my membership card does not appear to work.

Is there a way that Plusnet can force a new password or make it back to the factory settings?

I have a small business to run and access to e-mails and and the like is important via the internet, especially as I don;t get a mobile signal at home, and also require the internet for phone calls.

Thanks for your help

dave_hitchen

Hi Richie,

I'm not a PlusNet support person, it sounds like you've followed the advice & this hasn't worked. So this needs a response from Plusnet & I'd also be interested for the outcome to be posted here.

In the meantime, just having a look at the booklet that came with my router. It says after a factory reset (or if setting up for the first time):

1) Close your web browser & try again in 15 mins

2) If you then get the Broadband setup page

Enter the Account Username & password. I guess this would be the new password you've just set up.

If you weren't getting the Broadband set up page then I guess you were getting the router Logon screen which would require your router password. This is a case sensitive password, so probably worth double checking that you typed it correctly.

Failing that, we need a response from PlusNet support.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear you've had connection problems Richie

It looks like things are resolved now?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet