Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iTunes Download appears as PTP traffic in Summary of Internet Activities

acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

iTunes Download appears as PTP traffic in Summary of Internet Activities

This morning I downloaded Apple's 1.1.4 update (165MB) for my iPod Touch using iTunes.
I rarely use PTP (if at all) and yesterday my PTP traffic was shown as 0% within my 'Summary of Internet Activities'. Today, it is showing as 4% - with 165MB being 4% of my total usage this month. I am therefore as certain as I can be that the update has been identified by Plusnet as PTP traffic.
The download is clearly not PTP and I have never noticed iTunes downloads being identified as PTP before. Is this a slight 'glitch' in the traffic management system or is there a wider system issue? 
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

Re: iTunes Download appears as PTP traffic in Summary of Internet Activities

Erm, I'd believe it if I was told it was correct.
I recall a while ago reading that Apple intended starting to use P2P to deliver music and video downloads faster, perhaps they have applied similar logic to patches (even if they haven't started using P2P for music/videos?)
Colin
Grafter

Although, if James thinks they've started using P2P and PJ thought that, maybe they have done... I've not done an Apple Update where I can see the breakdown yet.
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well I have done a  quick google search on Akamai and yes Apple do indeed use them. If I understand it correctly, Akamai mirrors content stored on Apple's own servers to deliver increased speed of download. The purchase last year of Red Swoosh by Akamai allows them to use PTP technology to download and 'sideload' data without any uploads taking place by the computer downloading the data.
I have downloaded numerous video podcasts through iTunes over the past couple of years, together with all Apple' updates, and have never noticed them being classed as PTP before. I guess this will change over time as Apple need to move increasing amounts of data to their customers.
You learn something new every day.  Smiley
Whether it is right to amalgamate this type of traffic with the more normal PTP for traffic management purposes is another question. With no uploads involved and no PTP software installed on the 'end users' computer many people will not realise they are using PTP when using iTunes.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

You could download the Song of the Week, it's free:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4681849#post4681849
I'll have a look at weekend see what I can see.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology