cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer keeps stalling on TV

Guy1

iPlayer keeps stalling on TV

Since moving from BT to Plusnet we have been having repeated problems with iPlayer on our Samsung TV

I have even reset the TV to factory settings.

We moved over a couple of months ago so I doubt it is the TV as everything was fine with BT but iPlayer just seems to stall part way through a program.

On the tablet it is fine, on the laptop it is fine the audio and visual often get out of sync.

I have looked at the various threads on the forum but I can't find anything with a solution to this problem.

This doesn't happen to Amazon, ITV Hub, Netflix, Channel 4, etc.

Has anyone else come across this?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: iPlayer keeps stalling on TV

Hi there, 

As you don't get the same issue on other devices it would suggest that the problem is specific to the TV. 

Assuming you've got the TV connected to your network over WiFi I'd try connecting it over a LAN cable temporarily to see if the same thing happens. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Guy1

Sorry, there is a typo in my original statement. I do have a problem with the laptop, it gets out of sync.

I have already swapped the tv from lan to WiFi and back with no change.

This.problem started when switching to.plusnet implying that it isn't a fault with the tv.

Could you please suggest an alternative solution.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This doesn't happen to Amazon, ITV Hub, Netflix, Channel 4, etc.

Has anyone else come across this?

Yes - only with iPlayer and only just recently and I have been with Plusnet for a long time.

This could point to the issue being related to an update to iPlayer ... but I have no way of validating that possibility.  It could be an issue with the BBC's iPlayer streaming service.

An issue relating to the broadband connection would reasonably be expected to "hit" other streaming services similarly ... but in my experience that is not the case.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Guy1 - are you able to use your old BT router and see if the problem occurs again?

Guy1

It would depend on how the software handles glitches on the signal.

What would be expected is that, if it is the software it would happen with other internet providers, does anyone know if that is an issue?
Guy1

I still have it, I could give it a go.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Guy1,

This is posted in BROADBAND so can I safely infer that you are on ADLS?  I've only seen the issue recently ... and I migrated to FTTC recently ... I'm wary of looking for coincidences!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I raised this a few weeks ago - a quick search should find the thread.

I've more or less stopped watching iPlayer. By watching the broadband traffic, I can see that most iPlayer apps (Android tablet, broswer plugin, TV builtin) are quite bursty - in particular my LG TV. Rather than a steady couple of Mbps it is using up to 20Mbps for short bursts (when I use 4G). When I use Plusnet it just pauses while it catches up.

iPlayer used to adjust resolution to the bandwidth (so for ADSL it would use SD), but it now it seems to use HD by default. It is possible to switch it to lower resolution (if you can find the option), but the difference is that it still buffers but you have a fuzzy picture too.

And as several people have commented, it is much worse with iPlayer than other on-demand/catchup services.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Two days ago I tried to watch of the end of a snooker match when the terrestrial coverage ended - went to live streaming on i-player (via a Youview box) and got the repeated buffering mentioned above. Not checked yet whether streaming of recorded programmes is similarly affected on i-player.