cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to reconnect

snailspace171
Grafter

how to reconnect

A couple of times now, I have accidentally disconnected the power from my router or modem.
I plugged back in, but for ages it just kept saying then following, when I tried to go online:
Login
Enter your username and password to access your Technicolor Gateway.

I had to mess around for ages to get connected again.
Is there something you need to do when reconnecting?
I mean what if there was a power cut?
10 REPLIES 10
snailspace171
Grafter

Re: how to reconnect

Or is there something wrong and I'm the only one getting that message
pengbo
Grafter

Don't you have to leave it for 15 minutes when you first connect?  Not sure but if it's powered down I think it restarts that again.  One of the reasons I use my Draytek now.
I think the standard recommendation is to disconnect in the routers web interface rather than rebooting it.
snailspace171
Grafter

Oh. It does say something about that in the book.
So basically every time I lose power I have to wait 15 minutes before I can get online again?
pengbo
Grafter

I think so.  When I first joined and was reading everything I could on here one of the recommendations from the plusnet staff and regulars was not to reboot the router unless you had too.  One of the reasons I think was because it does take a while to reboot but 25 mins does seem excessive.  I think the other reason is if you are on a 21CN exchange then the equipment there can see reboots as something wrong with your connection and start changing things to compensate.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: snailspace171
A couple of times now, I have accidentally disconnected the power from my router or modem.
I plugged back in, but for ages it just kept saying then following, when I tried to go online:
Login
Enter your username and password to access your Technicolor Gateway.

I assume that's a 582. I had the same problem with a 585 that I had not used for a while - the solution for me was to do a "factory reset", get it set up again, save the configuration and restore the configuration  Roll_eyes It would not retain the settings until I did a restore.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
snailspace171
Grafter

it is a TG582n.
so I take it this is not normal behaviour then?
its just that I only had it installed today, so Im still getting to grips with it really!
Estragon
Rising Star

Cheesy
Then stop doing Smiley  Tongue
snailspace171
Grafter

I have found information on this in the help files, if anyones interested.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-setup-guide.shtml#manualSetup
point 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For ADSL
Getting the prompt to login to the router implies you have a browser tab open for accessing the router's web interface. Assuming the router was connected to the internet before the power was turned off then it will (or should) automatically connect again when turned on again without your PC getting involved. So no need for that login tab, just close it.
When the router is turned on, normally the power LED will show red initially, turning green when self-check is completed, then the Ethernet and wireless LEDS turn green and the broadband LED starts flashing. This is when the router is trying to sync with the exchange. This normally takes 30-60 seconds, then the broadband LED goes solid green. After a few seconds the internet LED should start to flash as the router tries to connect to Plusnet. This might take 30 seconds, then the LED goes solid green and the router is connected.
Assuming your PC is on and connected to the router you should now be able to browse the Internet.
For Fibre I think the modem needs to sync with the exchange first, then the router can be turned on to connect with Plusnet.
David
Bright
Grafter

Yes, but.... on FTTC I have found that if I power off the router (leaving the BTOR VDSL modem on), then power the router back on, it will not connect the PPoE session again. I have to wait a good 5 minutes before the router can successfully complete the PPoE login again. I assumed this was because the old PPoE session has to time out before I can establish a new one but I'm just guessing. It seems that the PPPoE discovery phase fails. My Asus RT-N66U router log reports:
pppd[498]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
pppd[498]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery

The Plusnet Technicolor TG582n router suffered the same problem. But it's worth checking that your DSL username and password did get correctly configured by TR-069 and saved by the router. If not, you can enter them manually.
With ADSL I'd expect the router to connect again quicker - the DSL connection is dropped at the same time, since the modem is built into the router, and I guess the loss of connectivity is reported back to Plusnet's access server.