cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how far are you from your local exchange??

Steve
Seasoned Pro

how far are you from your local exchange??

Hi,
    i came across this today and thought it may be of use to people wanting to know where there local exchange is,this is particularly usefull if your planning on moving house,this will give you very detailed info  of the exchange,how far you are from it,what it supports and plans in the future for it,and even has a map of your local area to the exchange,so hope this is useful to you all.  .http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: how far are you from your local exchange??

That is an 'as the crow flies' distance (i.e. a straight line) and not necessarily the distance you line is as it often follows roads and can do detours or go to other areas (thus making the line longer) before it gets to the exchange.
I new of one person who could see his exchange from the back garden but he found out he was actually at the end of the line and the line went all around his village before getting to the exchange - a total distance of over 6KM, instead of a few hundred meters as he crow flew.
So while it may prove useful, you can't rely on the distance figures given.
mal0z
Grafter

Fortunately - I can see my exchange across the field about 800 meters away, and I'm told by one of the BT technicians in the village that the cable run is about 1km, as it has to route around the road across a river bridge.  I consistently get about 6.5M - so I'm very lucky.
So house prices might be higher when closer to the exchange !.
roll on the Fibre to the Cabinet project
itsme
Grafter

I am 800m from an exchange unfortunately it's not the exchange that I am on. I am on an exchange which is the other side of the town centre approximately 3km away. Knowing where the exchanges are is only part of the story, you need to know the exchange area. For me the boundary for the 2 exchanges is 50m up the road.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

near me (marked on the map with A) the phone numbers are 01245 - Chelmsford. 15 mile down to the south, the local Exchange 01376 is just under the E of Braintree - about 3 mile NE, Great Notley people are on the Braintree Number