cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help please with problem setting up network with Thomson 4 port router

thecastles

help please with problem setting up network with Thomson 4 port router

Hi,
I recently received a Thomson 4-port router from plusnet and have managed to set it up so my PC and laptop can both access the internet through it (eventually!).  I am trying to set them up to share files between the two computers too.  But I can't seem to!
I've set up a net work on my PC which is wired to the router, the laptop being wireless.  On the PC I can "see" both computers on the network but can't access the laptop.  On the laptop, I just see the laptop in the workgroup.
Both computers are running Windows XP. 
Any ideas please?  Plusnet support didn't want to know as it's nothing to do with the internet, even though they did provide the router, which is a pity as there are no set up instructions for the router.
I've played around with it now for 2 weeks and still can't get it to work.
Many thanks if you can help me out!
19 REPLIES 19
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: help please with problem setting up network with Thomson 4 port router

its not a router set up its the set up on the two machine, I have got some file share on mine - XP but not an expert on it I am afraid. I changed from a speed touch to Thompson, didnt have to change anything even thought the router address is completely different
Do you just want to share or set up a network?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have a read of this http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm
In addition - try disabling the firewall on both computers and see if this makes a difference.
I assume that the workgroup on each computer is the same and that file and printer sharing is enabled
pnf
Grafter

Assuming that both the laptop and the PC are in the same workgroup it could be the firewall on the laptop that is causing the problem.  I encountered a similar problem a while ago when attempting to share files between a laptop running Vista and a PC running XP.  The problem was caused by the firewall on the laptop which needed to be set to recognise the network as a trusted network.
paulby
Grafter

Firstly you need to make sure both PCs are in  the same workgroup.
To do this right click on My Computer and select properties and select the Computer Name tab.  The default workgroup for Xp is MSHOME.  If the workgroup is different on one machine, change it so that it is the same on both machines.
If both PCs are Xp machines you'll also need to run the Network Setup Wizard on both machines.
To do this go to Start>Control Panel>Network Setup Wizard
When you run the Wizard you need to select "This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway....."
The Wizard will set everything up and will also set up the Windows firewall correctly (if that's what you're using).  You don't need to create a disc (provided the other PC is also Xp), just run the Wizard on the other PC.
If you're using a third party firewall you need to make sure that your local network is in the "Trusted Zone", "Home Zone" or similar (not the Internet zone or file and printer sharing won't work - your router will firewall your network from the Internet) and also make sure that the Windows firewall is off (it's a bad idea to run two software firewalls as it can cause a lot of problems!).

pierre_pierre
Grafter

on an XP if you just want to share, you dont have to use workgroup, just set the properties of the files you to share, thats all I had to do
Mav
Fixes: 514

Something to do which is covered above but not obvious is make sure both PCs have different IP addresses. My router IP address is 192.168.1.254 and each PC is 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3 respectively.
You can check the current values on each PC using Local Area Connect Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties.
I have set many networks and have always done it manually - never used the wizard at all. Each has worked first time.
Maybe get your IP/subnet, etc  details from here and enter them manually into the above window.
HTH

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

the thompson range is 60, 61 etc
Mav
Fixes: 514

Hi pierre_pierre
Not sure what you mean by that. I have the Thomson 4-port router as supplied by PN and using 2 & 3 works perfectly.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I think pierre may mean DHCP starts at 60.  I have the 585V6, and DHCP addresses start at 192.168.1.60, so I can use manual addresses up to 60.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes, sorry about the quality but see below,  2 Wifi and one ethernet on V7 router
paulby
Grafter

On the 585v7 the default DHCP pool is from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 with the router on 192.168.1.254
Static IPs should be assigned in the range up to 192.168.1.63 to avoid causing a possible conflict with DHCP assigned addresses.
thecastles

thanks for all your advice. I'm going to try and get it working today so will let you know.  Can someone explain the difference between sharing and networking please?  I want to be able to access files on both machines and ideally use the printer on the PC with my laptop.  Is that sharing or network?
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Both - it is networking with file and printer sharing allowed
thecastles

I've tried disabling the firewall on both computers but still can't log on.  The IP addresses are automatic, when I log on to the router it displays all the IPs as unique.
My workgroup does not display in my connections window.  If I click on show workgroup computers it comes up on the PC but access denied on the laptop.
Any other things I can try?