cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? for Powerline/Homeplug users (& others with knowledge of mains interference)

AndyH
Grafter

Re: ? for Powerline/Homeplug users (& others with knowledge of mains interference)

I had a problem with Netgear Powerline and my HDMI over ethernet.
Basically every time someone turned a light switch on/off, mains plug on/off or even something like the fridge compressor kicking in, the HDMI baluns would lose synch for half a second or so.
Took me a while to realise the cause of the problem. Bought some shielded Cat5e which I couldn't terminate properly. Then tried some pre-made patch cables and same problem. Tried a mains conditioner but it made no difference. Ended up ditching the Powerlines and it work really well now, very rarely flickers. I guess the ethernet over mains cabling devices cause some kind of excessive earth leakage that anything sensitive on the consumer unit will pick up.
CX
Grafter

Re: ? for Powerline/Homeplug users (& others with knowledge of mains interference)

Quote from: vultura
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3AV7Q8OFNB9SA/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000PS5700&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=
Had anyone here used this filtered mains block or something similar to cut down mains interference?

I have a few of those Tacima power strips around the house, back from the days of weak pre-switchover Freeview. From my testing, they block the Homeplugs from communicating with each other, so in theory they should help in reducing interference from other devices.
Of course, they don't help to tighten up the bass or produce crisper highs or a more pleasing timbre or other arm-wavy nonsense that they're marketed for. But they do seem to do a good job of isolating noisy devices from the ring main.
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: CX
Quote from: vultura
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3AV7Q8OFNB9SA/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000PS5700&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=
Had anyone here used this filtered mains block or something similar to cut down mains interference?

I have a few of those Tacima power strips around the house, back from the days of weak pre-switchover Freeview. From my testing, they block the Homeplugs from communicating with each other, so in theory they should help in reducing interference from other devices.

Thanks for reply CX.  I was intending to keep the homeplugs unfiltered, but other devices filtered to see if I can improve the homeplug performance/stability.
Have ordered one of the Tacima units to see if it makes a difference and a colleague wants to see if it will reduce the hum on his subwoofer.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
paperlawyer

Hi vultura, I'd love to know whether the Tacima has made a difference to your homeplug speeds as I have terrible throughput problems with my 200mbs units and I've notied unplugging nearby multigang extensions improves the throughput.