cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flakey dns, very slow page loads and connected to "unknow" plusnet gateway!

psybox
Dabbler

flakey dns, very slow page loads and connected to "unknow" plusnet gateway!

You are currently connected to the "unknown" gateway.
The tool currently could not identify your gateway, it does not mean that anything is wrong
Since being moved onto our new "un throttled" package, dns is very flakey. Click on links take you to a blank page (page cant be found) - which you refresh and the page then loads. Tonight pages are taking 5 + seconds to load (5 seconds at very best) even plusnet pages.
Speedcheck shows our normal upload and download. Is there currently a problem?
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: flakey dns, very slow page loads and connected to "unknow" plusnet gateway!

Are you using Firefox or IE8
If you open a DOS window  and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotation marks and note the space between ipconfig and /all  what are the DNS servers
psybox
Dabbler

both browsers. I use a router which is using the below dns (auto assigned by ISP)
psybox
Dabbler

oh and the gateway ip is 195.166.128.80
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That's thn-ag3, usually the gateway shows as your router's IP address.
I've just done a DNS benchmark test, no indication of any DNS problems. However I have seen instances where pages on the Community site take several seconds to load (and sometimes lose their layout). I'm using FF3.6.
David
psybox
Dabbler

I have a static IP so it wouldnt show as the router IP
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could try changing the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 with the secondary as 212.159.13.50 and see if it helps
RarelyHappy
Dabbler

I've been seeing similar symptoms for a few days now - I've been expecting a flurry of complaints, however it seems to be not widespread.  I may not be seeing the same problem as psybox, but it sure sounds the same.  Veeeerrrrry Slow response, stalled web-pages (ie loads halfway but never completes until a stop & refresh is performed) and general sluggishness, plus occasional "not found" timeouts.  Are we sure there's no problem lurking ?
RarelyHappy
Dabbler

ps. Speedtests are fine, ping-tests are fine, trued the suggested DNS change, no benefit.
RarelyHappy
Dabbler

to clarify further speedtest.net and pingtest.net are fine and show normal test results, but pings and tracert show time-outs and web-browsing is horrendously slow and highly prone to "stalled" web-pages whereby half-a-page loads and then it's left waiting for the last few elements and never seems to completely finish loading ie "waiting for xxxxxxx.whatever.yada"- "stop" and "refresh" often works, however not every time - sometimes it's just not going to finish.(like whilst typing this in, the status bar is still showing "waiting for webstats.plus.net...".
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RarelyHappy,
I suspect this will be caused by the intermittent connection you've reported rather than any DNS issues. We should have an update for you on that soon.