Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre speed and sync speed

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: fibre speed and sync speed

I just don't understand why is BT kept saying SUPERFAST BROADBAND even the cabinet is 1.3 miles away. I think Ofcom should ban this if this was the case of mistaken signing up in the first place. Really very sorry to hear it davidfriedlander. U are correct, you are better off with ADSL.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It is 'Super Fast' for the majority of customers, which is why I think the slogan is used.
The line estimates for FTTC in this case were very low unfortunately, and it's just due to the distance between the FTTC Cabinet and property.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It's like Virgin saying "over 80% of your neighbourhood is connected" whereas I can't get cable.  But it clearly stated on the small writing, only in cabled streets.
BT Openreach should do this.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: davidfriedlander
i have read about people who were on 2 adsl and got fibre and going to 40-50, how is it that i was on 10 and gone down to 6.

The simple answer is that both flavours of DSL are dependent on the distance, but the *way* they are dependent is utterly different. There is also a dependency on the quality of the line, but I'll leave that out for now as it will only serve to confuse.
ADSL (incl ADSL2+) works at its fastest when the distance between you and the exchange is shorter. Speeds of around 10Mbps suggest you are around 3km from the exchange.
FTTC (which uses VDSL2) works at its fastest when you are close to the street cabinet. Once that distance beyond 2km, you run the risk of not being able to get FTTC working at all - and it seems that you are indeed just beyond 2km.
The people you have seen who have jumped from 2Mbps to 50Mbps will have been a long way from the exchange (perhaps 5km) but close to their street cabinet (within 500 metres). My own speed jumped from 5Mbps to 80Mbps, because I swapped an exchange distance of 4km for a cabinet distance of 350 metres.
Unfortunately, there is a small number of people, like yourself, who turn out to be close enough to the exchange to get decent ADSL performance, but at the same time are far enough away from their street cabinet that they get poor FTTC performance.
Naturally, you'd be asking yourself the question "Why is FTTC slower when the cabinet is closer to me than the exchange?" The reason is technical: For the FTTC cabinet to be able to give you good speeds at your distance (2km), it needs to be able to transmit to you on the lower set of frequencies that are available. Unfortunately, the FTTC cabinets are required to transmit those lower frequencies at a reduced power; the requirement comes from NICC (a kind-of subgroup of Ofcom), and is designed to make sure that the transmit power of the FTTC cabinet does not swamp the ADSL signals that come from the exchange (on other lines) using the same frequencies.
In essence, the FTTC cabinet has to be deliberately de-tuned from its theoretical best to ensure there is no interference to existing ADSL subscribers.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I always understood that BT (wholesale?) would refuse to supply FTTC if the estimate was below (something like)15MB/s, I'm pretty sure that BT (retail) will not provide 'Infinity' in the case of such low estimates.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WWWombat
Grafter

It always used to be the case that BT Retail wouldn't supply an Infinity-branded fibre connection at below 15Mbps. After a good long period, they started supplying it as a "BT Total broadband option N", but I can't recall what the lower threshold for that was - possibly 5Mbps.
Meanwhile, other ISPs were happy to supply their fibre products to the lower threshold.
I suspect the reason that BT Retail wanted to keep the Infinity brand "pure" was because they saw it as the means to triple-play, including TV: their offering against Sky and Virgin. It means that they could tie Infinity-based products alongside TV products, knowing that the speed of Infinity was always going to be enough for the TV channels. We are indeed starting to see this...
Plusnet Customer
davidfriedlande
Grafter

strange how my upload profile is still 10 but download is now 6.8
WWWombat
Grafter

On upstream, the profiles are fixed at the upper limit of your package. They don't vary with the sync speed in the same way as the downstream profile.
Plusnet Customer
davidfriedlande
Grafter

right my downgrade to adsl will happen 4/3, obviously the engineer will need to reconnect me back to the no fibre cabinet. my question is, does he need to come into my house to change the faceplate again?
w23
Pro

The FTTC faceplate is perfectly compatible with ADSL.
Engineer visit for downgrade? - Sorry, no idea.
[Edit] D'ough - typo ADSL read VDSL
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
davidfriedlande
Grafter

erm, but is the fttc faceplate compatible with adsl was the question
w23
Pro

Sorry - typo - corrected.  Embarrassed
Call me 'w23'