cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre speed and sync speed

davidfriedlande
Grafter

fibre speed and sync speed

Had my fttc install today, a contractor turned up (groan) turns out to be a very nice guy and after initial problems got me working, total install was about 3 hours and he had promised me to stay until it was working, he made at least 5 trips to the street cabinet and back, turns out the problem was a bad pair.
My previous adsl sync speed was 10 down and 1.4 up, and i could download at 1mb a sec. my fttc sync speed is unknown as there is no way to find this out but i am only getting 7.5 down and 1 up on speedtest.net.
logged onto plusnet member centre and it says my current line speed is 37.
whats happening here?
thanks
56 REPLIES 56
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: fibre speed and sync speed

Plusnet will probably need to update your line profile to the fibre profile.
A DigiCare forum staff will do this for you, when they see this thread.  Or if you prefer you can call up.
Also related to the question, don't expect your sync speed to match up with your line speed as the line speed is the profile max.
If you can, please run the speedtest on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
- then click further diagnostics after the initial test
- enter your home phone number that FTTC is provided on
It will show your line profile
(like attached)
If yours is the fibre speed, then you should open a fault for slow speed, otherwise if it is ADSL speed as the max achievable speed, then wait and it will be updated
NorthEasterner
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

this,,,
Quote from: davidfriedlander
logged onto plusnet member centre and it says my current line speed is 37.

says this
Quote from: NorthEasterner
Plusnet will probably need to update your line profile to the fibre profile.

doesn't need doing, but it would be useful to post the result of the BT speed test.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
davidfriedlande
Grafter

thanks for the replies, here is the results from bt:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
7.36 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.51 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.36 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 5.26 Mbps-7.51 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 7.51 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.01 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.01Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
here is from plusnet member centre:
Phone exchange:
BOWMANSGREEN
Estimated line speed:
1.5Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-02-19 21:06:20
Current line speed:
37 Mb
something is not right me thinks...
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi davidfriedlander,
I'm really sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing. I've run a couple of tests on your line and can see a potential issue on your line I'm afraid.
Could you please raise a fault ticket with us so we can get this sorted out for you?
You can do this online at http://faults.plus.net
davidfriedlande
Grafter

thanks Chris, fault ticket: 81585137
any idea what the potential problem is?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's showing as a 'Copper Joint Fault' which is likely to be a fault somewhere between the FTTC Cabinet to the wiring up to the socket.
I'm unsure as to the quality of the installation, but we'd need to get this looked at.
davidfriedlande
Grafter

that makes sense as like i mentioned in my op the "engineer" had a problem getting it to work and spent 3 hours doing it!
it does actually work and seems stable but not experiencing fibre speeds at all, in fact adsl was much better!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's my thought.
Our Faults Team will pick the ticket up within 48-72 hours and we'll make arrangements with you to get that sorted out.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I just don't get it. I seen peoples on this forum change from ADSL or ADSL2+ to FTTC and still getting their BTW speedtest further diagnostics with their landline phone number appear to work straight away. But, why mine isn't working? Why do I have to wait for two weeks for BT to updated my BTW speed test to resolved? Very annoying.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

At least you have broadband  Wink
BT messed up my connection by switching my line to someone else's...
resulting I got their calls and they got mine, and worse that the other person was an elderly couple and didn't have broadband so no broadband came through.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

^^ blimey cor me! How could BT do this?
davidfriedlande
Grafter

to my surprise an openreach engineer turned up at my door and fiddled with the line into my house and then went off to the cabinet, he called after a little while and said that he will fix the fault. Internet and phone went dead for a while and then came back. did a bt speedtest and not much has changed, does my profile need a reset or is that going to be my speed from now on?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm glad the engineer has been out for you.
The engineer has shifted your connection into a different port at the cabinet to rule that out as being part of a potential fault The engineer believes that the speeds that you're receiving are likely the best you're going to get on FTTC.
davidfriedlande
Grafter

in that case, i am going to have to go back to adsl llu which i had before which wasnt traffic managed and was quite a bit faster as no point having a slower internet connection when it is supposed to be faster!
do i just need to request my mac key? or is there another process as it is going from fttc to adsl?