cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fault solving.

TattooedArry

fault solving.

Since 5th November our internet has become really slow, with drop outs on most downloads.
The fault was reported and since being informed that the fault would be passed to the correct department for review nothing further has happened.
We have been given a free dial up but in the absence of a dial up modem it's pretty well useless.
We haven't been with plusnet long so I've no idea how long these things take to resolve, does anyone know how long this will take.
With two of us online it reminds me of the old days with a 56k fax modem -waiting for the pictures to unroll.
Here's a speed check done today (from a line estimated at 7Mbps when we took up with PlusNet)

Thanks in advance.
All the best
Tattooed_Arry
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: fault solving.

welcome to the Forum
please dont put your complaint in two places, it confuses people who try to help
have you reported it as a fault,  Did they ask you to do a series of tests?
first stage to get help from here can you report your router stats  look here how to do it if your not sure
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
You only found the problem three days ago and there was a weekend between,  PN normally say 72 hors before any action, but with help from the users here we might find the answer earlier
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You've commented on your lousy speeds elsewhere - but you haven't responded to pierre-pierre's request. If you want us to help that's the starting point.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TattooedArry,
It looks a lot like your slow speed is caused by an intermittent connection fault. Please can you test the line with just the router plugged into the master socket (or even better the test socket, behind the master socket front plate) with nothing else plugged into the line? If the connection still drops there then you've proved a line fault, otherwise it's more likely caused by something plugged into the line or possibly extension wiring.
Please make sure you don't have the router plugged in using any phone extension cables as these frequently cause connection issues.
TattooedArry

Thanks for responses, I haven't been able to respond earlier because we have a house full of young children.
I posted in two places as one was not a complaint but an observation on another users post, I did not expect a response there as it would have been rude to hijack someone else's thread, so I opened a new thread.
Fault has been reported and all tests carried out.
My original fault report is still hanging awaiting a response from support staff, I simply wondered how long the response would take.
I will try going directly into the back of the master socket, however at the time the fault occurred nothing  had changed in the configuration and the baby was asleep (a budding engineer already who has his own idea of how wiring should be configured).
The first we knew of it was that my eldest daughter asked me if I'd switched off the router,.
Incidently  do any members of staff know why the tests carried out were inconclusive, and if those checks will be carried out again?
Thanks in advance,
All the best
Tattooed_Arry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: TattooedArry
I will try going directly into the back of the master socket, however at the time the fault occurred nothing  had changed in the configuration and the baby was asleep (a budding engineer already who has his own idea of how wiring should be configured).
The first we knew of it was that my eldest daughter asked me if I'd switched off the router,.
Incidently  do any members of staff know why the tests carried out were inconclusive, and if those checks will be carried out again?

I suspect the inconclusive result is because you raised a speed fault rather than a dropping connection fault, so the tests that have been run are specific to a speed issue that isn't there (bear in mind the DLM system is designed to slow a connection when it's perceived by the exchange as dropping, so a lower profile won't appear as a fault because everything is working as it should).
That's why I asked for the tests above - the tests that were requested when you raised your fault were tailored to a speed issue, whereas you have a dropping connection fault. However you can confirm a line issue if the fault is still apparent with two different bits of hardware tested in the master socket.
Hope that helps, cheers,
TattooedArry

I actually raised both speed and connection dropping as issues, but anyway, I have run the router directly from the mastersocket and changed the normal extension to the room where the main pc is (only 10feet away), no change.
I presume that when you say run the router alone you do mean through a microfilter.
Apart from running the router through the mastersocket without a filter I have tried everything else.
Thanks for your help
All the best
Tattooed_Arry.
PS.Maybe afk for some time as it is Baby's lunchtime.
TattooedArry

Okay, I've now tried two different microfilters, rewired (replaced) all connectors, gone into the master socket to connect same, disconnected and reconnected the router using the router menu and replaced all cables connecting the pc and router.
Assuming it is a line fault where do I go from here?
My fault ticket is still awaiting a response from support, do I wait for them to come back, or do I ring BT and deal with the problem from that end?
Can any staff reading still reading this stuff advise?
I have young children to care for and I really don't have the time to mess about with this problem for much longer.
Thanks in advance for any help
All the best
Tattooed_Arry

PS: I cannot sit in front of the PC for long so please excuse any delay in response, the kids are in the middle of bath-time and then it's bed-time, I don't intend any rudeness in not responding quickly - it's just that the kids have to come first.
neil3045
Grafter

My internet connection has gone rubbish over the last few weeks. i reckon its something to do with PN's latest ad campaign, taking on more than they can handle!