Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: extremely slow broadband - issues with telephone line

Depends on how you want to interpret 'update'
boydy

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your help. I am in work at the mo but I just checked my speed on the plus net website and it's sitting at 2mb. The data rate on my router has dropped because the router dropped the connection yesterday evening. I think there was a problem with plus net last night?
I'll reboot my router remotely at lunch time today and see if the data rate increases, currently here are the figures:
ADSL Link                    Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed    2496 kbps          448 kbps
Line Attenuation          51 db                    14.5 db
Noise Margin              14 db                    18 db
again, thanks!
Brian
James
Grafter

Hi Brian,
I've just checked from this end and we're definitely profiling you on a 2Mbps data rate.  If you reboot your router, you should start seeing improved download speeds Smiley
boydy

Hi,
Just to follow on from my original query about my broadband speed being very low. This is resolved and I am now getting 2mb + synch rates.
I have been using a Belkin N1 wireless router modem since Christmas which I bought to improve wiress coverage in my house... trying to get a wireless signal in my sunroom for my wii. I plugged in my Netgear router (DG834G) and I noticed that there is about half a meg difference in synch rate between the two. The netgear being best. All of the ADSL settings are the same on both:
VPI = 0, VCI = 38, MTU = 1458 (was 1454 on Belkin but I changed this to the Netgear value)
Here are the speeds for both:
Belkin
                                Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 2272Kb                 448Kb
Noise Margin 14                         18
Output power(dBm) 119                 181
Attenuation(dB)   55                           30

Netgear
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 2624 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15 db
Noise Margin 14 db 16 db
Is there anything that I am missing that may be causing the inconsistency between the two routers?
Thanks
Brian
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To misquote Animal Farm
All routers are equal but some are more equal than others
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Also as said before, it depends on the time of day that your router syncs, noise generally being lower in the daytime, but this can vary from one moment to the next if the line is a bit noisey. As you said about dropping sync. that other evening, having sorted your ring wire, I'd double check you don't have any internal connection problems, including connectors into sockets on all your extensions, you didn't say how many, and of course that the filters are good on all that you've got plugged in. If/when you're sure that's all ok, it's a case of moniotring your line noise. Also check you can't hear any crackling or other intermittent noises on your phone.
HTH.