cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extended line from bt connection

firefly2
Grafter

extended line from bt connection

will a 30ft + extention around the house from the bt connection have an adverse effect on bb.  hope to be connected very soon now.  the lines are underground street to house too.  ::)[ the pc has been out of action for a week] hopefully okay now. thanks . firefly2 Huh
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: extended line from bt connection

Depends on the extension cable you use.
If its the type of cable used for internal wiring of phone sockets, it should be fine. If its the coiled extension or one with a connector already fitted on each end, this can cause degradation of signal and thus speed.
I always recommend if at all possible to connect the router to the master socket and run Cat5 cable to the PCs rather than use an extension phone cable to which you connect your router.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I completely second the above, we get a lot of faults that turn out to be caused by phone extension cables. Ethernet cable (cat5e) is a bit thicker but you don't get any risk of speed loss from interference and it's much more rugged.
mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Again totally agree - site router close to the master socket and run wireless/cat5 to computer(s) where possible.
Having said that, I have 15m of telephone extension wiring (carefully run to avoid sources of interference) because the master socket is not located in a good position for wireless propagation (we have thick stone walls) nor would I find running cat5 a sensible alternative.
I get the same SNR at the master socket as at the end of the extension and my connection is rock solid without drops at a 7616 line rate for weeks on end (until I think its time to reboot the router). The microfilter is at the end of the extension and serves both the router and the master station of a DECT cordless telephone system. No other wired extensions.
This has been in operation for over 3 years with no problems (except when falling branches bring down the BT wires). This despite the fact we are out in the sticks with overhead telephone lines to the exchange.
This is not to contradict anything that has been said about the advisability of siting the router adjacent to the master socket, but just to point out that if there are good reasons not to it is perfectly possible to achieve a good connection at the end of an extension.
Hope this helps.
scootie
Grafter

i agree with all things said here.
I run mine at end of a extension cable with no problems lose about 100k of sync speed.
jus like mbeenham says try and run the extension without passin anythin that will cause interfence.
runing cat5 from master scocket is best setup but not most pratical.
compare results of extension to runing direct from mastersocket.
as said mines jus 100k less on extension so runing cat5 isnt really worth it in less i wanted  every last drop my line could give me.
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I was just about to move the router to the master socket and run cat 5 cable.
Have a look at: http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm#l8
In the end I got away with using the existing house extension cable and some telephony cable.
firefly2
Grafter

Thank-you all so much for the reassurance of extension cable.have seen site dougrice and very detailed great. mine is an extension done by an aerial firm taken out thru' the wall and around the house and into another room next to pc. [ground floor] it sounds as tho' will be fine. thanks again firefly2  Smiley
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

There is another way; i have a installations using Homeplugs see here http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm which is ethernet over mains wiring, or powerline networking. A basic pack costs £50 and will work over 250metres as long as the mains is all supplied from the same electricity meter.
What you do is plug one homeplug powerline unit into your router which you site nextto your BT master socket. Another homeplug is then situated next to your PC. or you can have a wirelss homeplug which transmits a wirelss signal, and again you can plug this in anywhere you wish. result; intant ethernet network wherever you want with no cables to fit.
i have three of these systems in use in different locations ranging from 25 to 250 between homeplugs.
firefly2
Grafter

I have loads help from your replies thank-you all.  will be seeing how go on when connected and let you know  firefly2.