cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding from domain host UK2.net not working with Plusnet

r44flyer

email forwarding from domain host UK2.net not working with Plusnet

Hi all
I've had my domain name setup with UK2.net for some years now and forward specific emails to divert@myaccountat.plus.com
Tuesday evening they stopped being delivered. Conversations & tests with UK2 support showed forwarding was working to other ISPs except Plusnet.
I also manage a friends Plusnet account and their forwarded emails are also not being delivered.
Tests from my work email even return a Mail Delivery Service failure reply.
Addressing emails directly to the Plusnet aliases works fine but anything forwarded from UK2 to the same addresses fails!
UK2 support are blaming Plusnet - ticket raised at Plusnet but so far no resolution.
Any ideas chaps
Cheers
Paul
121 REPLIES 121
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: email forwarding from domain host UK2.net not working with Plusnet

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
Seems that uk2 have originated a large amount of spam recently, so Postini are temporarily blocking them
B.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Yeah, we spoke to uk2.net twice about this yesterday on the phone. We advised them why it was happening and they said they'd take a look into things to make sure all was as it should be.
What concerns me a little is the fact that I've seen reports from non-uk2.net customers and a handful from those running their own mail servers too. I've never seen this before either. We've contacted Postini on multiple occasions and they're giving us their assurances that nothing's changed at their side and that they've always done this.
I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this one. If anyone else is having similar problems then shout up.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

canford
Grafter

UK2.net host several domains of mine and mail forwarding has been a problem for several days now. Some mail is being delayed for a varying number of hours, some mail gets bounced and some just disappears never to be seen again. The latter scenario is totally unacceptable.
framar

Forgive me if not relevant to this section. Yesterday I sent an email to myself from the local library and it failed to arrive. I then sent 2 emails from my computer to myself and they failed to arrive. One hour later I did the same and they arrived. Can this be Postini making wrong assumptions?
James
Grafter

Hi Framar,
Did the emails fail to arrive or did they bounce?
Can you PM me the email address in question and I'll test from this end?
chasby

Yes I am the same as r44flyer. Had several domains with uk2 for several years and have the emails all redirected to free-online(plusnet).
Tuesday afternon it all stopped , by Wednesday I contacted uk2. They checked all emails were being sent on, but said, on their check, plusnet were blocking all email through uk2. Plus net informed me Postini were the blockers. Certainly this is something new and quite unacceptable. Up to Tuesday postini had done a wonderful job in stopping rubbish email. Now I have had to divert all main email elsewhere and don't know how much has gone missing. It seems very variable as to what gets lost and what is mail delivery failure. My mail through plusnet is at present not reliable. uk2 have told me their technicians are working with plusnet and any further info should be addressed to plusnet. I don't see why those of us with domains and password access only for sending emails through uk2, should be stopped by postini suddenly after several months of trouble free operation.
This is a serious problem and I wish pluusnet, postini and uk2 would sort this mess out very quickly as atop priority.
Let's hope tis is sorted whithin the next few hours!!
r44flyer

agree with chasby entirely...
Yes I've seen the support reply & status message from Plusnet now
Message for Bob P - it really is unacceptable for a universal block to be applied in this way. Postini's job is surely to filter appropriately and anything destined for a properly setup Plusnet alias should be allowed through. Yes, I know its technically challenging but the easy option of blocking is ridiculous. There might be a case for blocking emails not destined for existing aliases or proper mailboxes, but to simply blacklist everything from uk2 is totally unacceptable.
Fix it quickly please.
Regards, & a very upset
r44flyer
framar

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Framar,
Did the emails fail to arrive or did they bounce?
Can you PM me the email address in question and I'll test from this end?

I would if I knew what PM stands for ( a'green' silver surfer)
James
Grafter

Personal message.
There's an icon next to my name which will let you send me a message that other people won't be able to see.
6string
Dabbler

I can also confirm that documents I was expecting to receive for a business meeting today never made it via UK2. Some of them simply disappeared and others were bounced. I would suggest that unilateral action by Plusnet (Postini after all are your partner!) is positively unhelpful in a business environment. We cannot know what we haven't received and if we have to phone everyone who might have replied to an email I don't need Plusnet or any ISP in the first place. Also it took nearly a day with a green light showing on email service status before anyone said anything, so presumably Postini didn't bother to tell you that they were screwing up large amounts of emails for YOUR customers.  UK2 are not the most user friendly of providers and yesterday was too much for me and I am moving away from them. If any one has an hour or two to spare they might like to try to find the ISP tag on UK2's web site. All useful links found on the web now dump you back to their unhelpful home page but I will get there. We seem to be in a" it's your fault, no it's yours" situation again and the customer has to sit and watch. Two dead lines for further information have come and gone on the service status page and I for one would like to know when, if ever, I can rely on my email again. And perhaps it might be a user friendly thing to get Postini to say when they are doing this again rather than have to flounder through random web searches.
canford
Grafter

I find it astonishing, not to say grossly unprofessional, for Postini to behave in this manner. After all, they do exist to filter spam and without it, there would be no need for them. It does not appear that any of the parties to this have treated the problem of blocking with the urgency it deserves.
As soon as I became aware of what was happening I altered my mail forwarding, but I too wonder what mail has been lost.
Googlemail not only offers POP, but also authenticated SMTP (supported). It's free and the spam filtering is at least as good as Postini.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Tongue in cheek
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 6string

. We seem to be in a" it's your fault, no it's yours" situation again and the customer has to sit and watch. Two dead lines for further information have come and gone on the service status page
and I for one would like to know when, if ever, I can rely on my email again. And perhaps it might be a user friendly thing to get Postini to say when they are doing this again rather than have to flounder through random web searches.

Web email has ever been thus - it cannot be relied upon 100% - and even the Royal Mail has problems with snail mail going astray.
Also another modern technology - mobile phones / text messages. That cannot be relied on either - sometimes text messages seem to go into outer space and return hours, days or even weeks later. It is a regular occurrence.

before email we had telex - and that was usually very reliable - ( you received an Answer back from the recipients machine  Smiley )

6string
Dabbler

I fully accept what you have said Ma108, but for the last year or so, it HAS been reliable enough to use for business purposes. The point I was making is that Postini seem to have taken a unilateral decision to stop emails, mine included, because there was a lot of spam coming from UK2 servers. My emails weren't spam and if someone could tell me how to get in touch with anybody who might have tried to contact me  but I didn't know, and it got binned not bounced, I would be grateful. Plusnet's email has had a chequered history and I have been their customer for a long time so I know. Now it's Postini's fault but they didn't tell anybody and somehow we were supposed to work out that our email had disappeared and why. I AM grateful to Plusnet who did find out what was going on but SURELY Postini might just have thought it important enough to tell them and possibly us before Plusnet had to ask them? A simple "Hey - we've binned your emails - just in case" - might have helped. I also don't think this is being sorted out fast enough as no one seems to be taking ownership of the problem. If UK2 haven't replied by next Monday do we have to continue with this lottery? From experience of other peoples' queries listed on the web, you can wait a very long time for UK2 to respond - if ever.