Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox / Onedrive / GDrive uploads make the web browsing stagnant

aimrashid

dropbox / Onedrive / GDrive uploads make the web browsing stagnant

Hi,
I am new to Plusnet.
I switched from O2 / Sky which I have used since 2011 because I wanted to support a smaller and local company.
however I have been very dissapointed from day one.
the first problem was the time taken for the switch (nearly a month) which they somehow forgotten or did not notice my application.
the second which I am facing now, is the uploads problem.
I am an avid user of Dropbox/ Onedrive/ GDrive and I upload files on hourly and daily basis.
during the uploads, web browsing becomes stagnant, hence, nobody in the household could access the internet even from my computer.
I have to turn off auto uploads everytime this happens.
has anyone experienced this problem before?
and how to solve this?
I have tried some advises they gave.
1. connect to the main cable (the one hidden which you have to unscrew)
2. and use ADSL cable.
I havent try to connect my previous O2 router since I could not configure.
the O2 router requests an static IP address, subnet mask and default gateway which I am clueless about.
thanks in advance for any advises.
6 REPLIES 6
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

Re: dropbox / Onedrive / GDrive uploads make the web browsing stagnant

I use Dropbox and GDrive and had a similar issue on basic ADSL.
If you go into Settings / Preferences in both of them you can limit the bandwidth usage for uploads which will give more back to other uses but will obviously slow down the time it takes to upload.

Seems to work fine.
chrcoluk
Grafter

either cap the upload speeds via software (may not be possible), or add some upstream QoS to your router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
A warm welcome to the forums.  A full set of stats as described in the speed issues thread would be useful please.  It would be wise to confirm that your basic stats / configuration are correct.  I would first want to confirm that you are on a 21CN service and that your US is not capped.  LLU operators such as O2 are able to offer ADSL2/ADSL2+ services in some places where BTw only offer 20CN services (ADSL-1).  The latter does not have the US potential of ADSL2/2+.
Are all your devices working over WiFi/  If yes, this could be a local WiFi issue.  Which router are you using?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I assume it's a problem with the 2704N.
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142437.msg1257181.html#msg1257181
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143152.0.html
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143682.0.html
Not a lot can be done about it besides limiting the upload speed, or buying a different router. Plusnet don't appear to be interested in this problem.
jg321
Grafter

It's bufferbloat, and is a problem with a lot of routers, not by a long way just the 2704n:
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/introduction
Plusnet can however get Sagem to release some firmware to do something about it. In the meantime, you'll need to limit the upload speed of your apps.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@aimrashid
Your upload was capped which won't have been helping.
I've placed a order to uncap it which will complete tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team