cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drop line moved ,costs?

niko
Grafter

drop line moved ,costs?

at the moment my drop line gos to a pole in front of my house turns right gos up the road and terminates about 80 yards away ,after running though trees
it joins the main line in a box with my nieghbours lines
any idea if its possible to get it moved to the pole outside my house ,it would need a new box to join it and the main cable breaking into
i presume i would have to pay for this? if so any idea on cost
and would they do it?
thanks nik
13 REPLIES 13
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: drop line moved ,costs?

Hi niko,
that's something you'd have to take up with your telephone provider. I imagine anything can be done if it's paid for but I'm not sure how you'd go about it.
Jojo Smiley
niko
Grafter

cheers jojo
that would be fun trying to explain that to the indian call centre
as this would be me getting work done directly could i not go to bt wholesale?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

your telephone provider is BT retail and their suppliers are Openreach, so it would need to go through them.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: niko
that would be fun trying to explain that to the indian call centre

Well I'm not Indian and I can't understand what you want done.
Quote from: niko
at the moment my drop line gos to a pole in front of my house turns right gos up the road and terminates about 80 yards away ,after running though trees
it joins the main line in a box with my nieghbours lines
any idea if its possible to get it moved to the pole outside my house ,it would need a new box to join it and the main cable breaking into
niko
Grafter

@itsme
iam sorry ,as i so its not easy to explain ,
this is why i said id have trouble explaining it to the call centre as there not tec help there call centre workers (they are always very polite )
its attached to the pole outside my house but not terminated on it ,does that help? if i can work out how to word it i might be able to tell then
@jojo thank you
x47c
Grafter

You are going to run into the difficulty that the line at this point is not yours to "decide".
It is up to BT, so they will say, to determine the best way to provide your phone service in conjunction with the supply of others.
You say breaking into the main cable - without knowing the details that sound easy - but is less so in practice.
It will mean a new joint box creation in the ground as the cable will have to be cut and then the pairs needed taken/spliced out and then the other bit/rest of the lines joined back on to the first bit.
Means disrupting other phone lines while its being done - and it means more joins in the cable which means more 'noise' for everyone else as each joint will produce some effect on the ADSL signal.
I'd be interested in how you get on
It's not something you can really discuss with a call centre
Probably better off making a written request making it very clear what you are asking for and that the request is reasonable and not just another rant and that you would in principle be willing to pay and ask for their comments/price quotation.
BT Wholesale run a policy of only dealing with their direct customers - BT retail and the ISP's
They do not deal direct with the public at large.  This enables them  to filter out the rubbish claims/rants whatever and only deal with and fix the proven faults.
Much the same way as some maufacturers appoint dealers/distributors of their product and as an end user trying to talk to the factory is often virtually impossible.

niko
Grafter

@x47c
thank you thats great
i do realize it might be a no go and its not simple
all of the joint boxes on my road are fixed halfway up the poles ,nothing is buried
who would i make a written request to?any ideas
itsme
Grafter

Are they junction boxes or cable joints. I would have thought it would be the latter.
niko
Grafter

there both fixed at various heights on the poles (maybe depends on the ladder they had that day ;D)
nothing buried on this road
x47c
Grafter

I would have no idea at all even where to start on this as to whom to contact.
Snag will be that unless BT have corporate proceedures in place to handle this sort of thing (customer paid for modifications) then such requests just grind to a halt for no better reason than the billing/workflow/ordering system won't allow it.
If you have any contacts with building firms who do housing estates that might help as they will have "contacts" in the BT network planning offices.  This would allow them to act almost as subcontractors to BT Openreach by doing all the cable/ducting work leaving BT staff just to connect it to the cabinet.
Frankly I'd love it if I could pay for BT to replace my lengthy drop wire section with proper twisted pair stuff and not spiral wrap whatever that it seems to be, mind you I'd expect the cost would be silly.  When we have gas/electric boards charging anything between £300 and £500 just to move a supply meter a few ft...........
niko
Grafter

@x47c
thanks again mate if i do get anyware i will post on here
there is no ducting/poles or cabs needed
my dropwire is allready on the post i would like it to terminate on
hardware needed would i think just be the junction box ,
i do know someone who is very well conected (he paid a lot of money to have ftp instailed at his house)but that was a private company
we shall see
thanks again nik
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good luck with the engineer visit tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
niko
Grafter

cheers adam ,i will keep you updated
hopefully i get an old school tech
nik