Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drj - speed problem split off

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: drj - speed problem split off

You're still using PPPoE on the DrayTek - you need to change this to PPPoA to be sure it isn't the router that's at fault.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I think Jims saying that the wiring you have there is causing a problem
I have similar attenuation and with my router a near a possible to the master socket and other tweaks to the phone wiring i get

Uptime: 0 days, 12:25:41
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 820 / 5,792
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 5,752
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 117.25 / 1.58
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 42.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 8.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 77 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 178,125 / 537,431
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,566 / 4,470
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 19 / 73,647  
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

EDIT - posted prior to seeing the immediately preceding response

Thank you all for trying to help but (a) I don't understand what those protocols are (b) after looking them up I'm hardly any wiser and (c) I think around 2.0 DOWN and 0.5 UP is potentially what I'm supposed to be getting anyway. I can't explain the initially low UP figure apart from as the historical figures show it varies.
I initially responded in a different topic where someone was switched from ADSL to ADSL+ - hence the first line of my apparent OP. The point at issue was whether switching to a different "flavour" of ADSL was (a) possible and (b) likely to be beneficial or not considering the wide spread of possible speeds being quoted by the speed checker.
Alternatively I realise my router is very old (in computer terms) since it was built in 2004 - it was a cast off from my brother which came free - including the set-up! Would I gain any speed if I switched to a more modern router? The problem at present is really only stuttering videos - otherwise it's fast enough.
Presently I'm probably just going to put everything back where it was but use the replacement extension - the original has a broken plug in any case. I can't leave things where they are because I'm presently having to step over the router and being on the floor where it is will probably limit my wireless range when I use the laptop.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Going back to your OP i have recently transferred to ADSL2+
the attenuation after the migration actually went down marginally and the speed went up  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
drj
Aspiring Pro

Last posting this evening. I've now reinstated the computer and router back where they were, used the replacement extension I'd found (approx 12m) - and at Speedtest.net the DOWN speed's gone up slightly - though the UP speed's gone down slightly - as have the router figures:

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is possible that the low upstream sync was caused by the fax machine - if it happens again you could try double filtering it
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The wire comes into the kitchen downstairs where there's an old style master socket - then there's a hard wired extension up to the living room upstairs

I wonder if the ring wire is connected. You're not really supposed to interfere with fixed wiring but is it possible to carefully unscrew the faceplate from the extension and see how many wires are connected. If its only 2 then its fine, but if its 3 or more then potentially that could be part of the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi drj,
You're on ADSL1 on 21CN The SNR is currently 13dB, so that will be keeping the sync rate down. Let me know if you get to the bottom of your wiring issues. Once you have I will look at resetting the SNR. There's no point doing it at the moment because it will only go back up again.
Jojo Smiley
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: MisterW
The wire comes into the kitchen downstairs where there's an old style master socket - then there's a hard wired extension up to the living room upstairs

I wonder if the ring wire is connected. You're not really supposed to interfere with fixed wiring but is it possible to carefully unscrew the faceplate from the extension and see how many wires are connected. If its only 2 then its fine, but if its 3 or more then potentially that could be part of the problem.

My understanding of telephony isn't much more than my meagre understanding of Broadband connections.
However I've taken the faceplate off to find all six wires connected - and very neatly it's all done too. I have no reason to think it wasn't done by BT - it was certainly over 15 years ago.
Wouldn't the "ring" wire need to be connected in any case to make telephones plugged into that socket ring?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: drj
Wouldn't the "ring" wire need to be connected in any case to make telephones plugged into that socket ring?

Yes - if your telephone looks something like this with an actual bell inside.

Otherwise - no!
See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - I do have two telephones with actual bells in but neither are in use now since I've largely switched to tone dialling.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Joanne
You're on ADSL1 on 21CN The SNR is currently 13dB, so that will be keeping the sync rate down. Let me know if you get to the bottom of your wiring issues. Once you have I will look at resetting the SNR. There's no point doing it at the moment because it will only go back up again.

Thank you. Unfortunately my understanding of connections is pretty poor - so I don't really know what I'm looking for. As I've said when I put the new extension back into the circuit last night following plugging the router directly into the master socket with everything else disconnected, my speed test result actually improved although the router figures went down slightly. So I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Or how looking at the figures my router advises, how I can tell if any alteration is beneficial or not.
Please advise - is there an "idiot's guide" to all this terminology and the implications somewhere at PlusNet or elsewhere?
My initial question was actually a follow on to another person's asking about different ASDL connections - this one - please note you haven't indicated whether a switch is likely to be beneficial or not - or even possible. Or have I got to try and work out why the wiring I've been using for 12 years (though only two using this router - quite a few previously on USB Broadband modem) is suddenly not acceptable?
drj
Aspiring Pro

I've found http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_overview
I do know I was originally on 1MB with Orange and about 3 years ago they sent me a letter saying they were upping my speed to 3MB - I surmise that might have been the change point? I'm about 2 miles (crow flies) from the Gloucester exchange.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given your present problems a switch would definitely be a bad thing and would give no increase in speeds I just realised from your reported upstream speed that you are already on ADSL2 with an uncapped upstream speed
drj
Aspiring Pro

Fine thanks - but I still don't understand what the problem is or problems are...