Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drj - speed problem split off

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

drj - speed problem split off

Forgive my ignorance but how do I tell what I'm on at the moment?
I've just done a speed test:

My router (Vigor2600VG) currently reports:
Up Speed Down Speed
192000       2656000
... this is towards the upper end of the range - "Down" has been down around 2000000 at times - but "Up" has been around double that

The BT Checker reports this for my number:
For Telephone Number 01452xxxxxx on Exchange GLOUCESTER
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 4Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 3Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

That all looks pretty vague suggesting it could 2-2.5Mbps for anything?
81 REPLIES 81
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: drj - speed problem split off

I have split this to its own thread as something seems to be horribly wrong with your connection.
Can you post the full stats from your router - speeds, noise margin and attenuation
drj
Aspiring Pro

Here's the "Online Status" screen - not sure where to find anything else.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I don't understand all the details but what is very clear is that you have a major problem.
Can you plug the router into the test socket with no phones connected and report the stats again
Checking here indicates that you may be able to get more information if this is your router http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#22
Do you have any idea why it is reporting WAN is PPPoE
drj
Aspiring Pro

I don't have a test socket. It's currently plugged into the master socket on an extension (since the socket's in the kitchen) but the other phones are obviously connected. I'm expecting a call shortly so can't do anything for an hour. Is that without restarting the router?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Leave it until you have time.
My gut feeling is either that a filter has gone down or there is a wiring problem or the extension is duff
No you don't need to restart the router but moving it temporarily into the kitchen will be needed
Can you explain a bit more about your internal wiring as it is rather unusual to have the master socket in the kitchen. Can you see where the telephone wires come into the house and trace them to the first junction box or socket
drj
Aspiring Pro

I have an unusual house! The wire comes into the kitchen downstairs where there's an old style master socket - then there's a hard wired extension up to the living room upstairs. The computer's in the dining room plugged into the master socket via an extension. There's a phone plugged into that adaptor via a filter, one plugged into the end of the computer's extension via a filter, and then a filter in the living room with a filter and two more phones (fax and cordless).
Which bit of the statistics is odd? (Not that I'll understand it).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Mainly the upstream speed - it should be 448kbps not 192kbps and your downstream speed is horribly low for the reported attenuation
It might just be  the fax machine causing the problem. If you disconnect that from the phone and resync the router what are the speeds
drj
Aspiring Pro

Right - phone call came and is over. I've now unplugged all the phones from the system so I've now just got the router plugged in, still via the extension. I haven't either unplugged it or restarted it - sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "No you don't need to restart the router but moving it temporarily into the kitchen will be needed". My computer is hard-wired into the router - I only use the wireless aspect for my laptop.
The router's now reporting as the attached - not much different?
EDIT - as I noted the up HAS been higher previously at times. Usually I find those two figures only change on the occasional restart. It's usually left on 24/7 (as is the computer)
EDIT - "resync"?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just unplug it from the phone line and plug it in again after 5 minutes directly into the socket in the kitchen
drj
Aspiring Pro

Yes - but it won't reach - hence the extension. If I'm to plug it into the kitchen directly I'll have to move everything into the kitchen which will mean powering down everything...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You really have to try it without the extension - they are notorious for causing problems.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro

The easiest thing to try in the first instance is another extension - so I've done that and the attached is the result. The UP speed has gone up - but as I say I've seen more like that figure previously - and the DOWN speed is down marginally.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Here's previous Speedtest results I've just discovered (I only registered today but it seems to know my previous tests) - note the 0.52 upload in mid December
drj
Aspiring Pro

Right - having found I had a pretty long network cable, I've stretched all the leads to their maximum, moved the computer trolley into the middle of the dining room, moved the router to on the floor in the kitchen doorway, and just managed to plug it into the socket directly. There's a slight improvement but obviously I can't leave it like that...

In fact there's very little difference between the second extension result and the direct connection looking at the Speedtest.net figures...