Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed problems!!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

download speed problems!!

Hi,
    all day today my speed downloading on my pc has been dire,my bt profile is at 8096 and my pn profile is 7000,bt test is reporting my throughput as 12.kb! tried downloading a windows defender update and its downloading at no more than 20 kb!! can anyone help? done a broad band speed test and it says i can download at 6mb but this is not happening?even my xbox which is meant to be on a 2mb at all times is not capable of streaming like it usually is.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: download speed problems!!

What product are you on?
(You might find http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77873.0.html interesting!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

im on plusnet unlimited,i have encountered no drop outs as ive been connected for over a day,just rang support who says i gotta stay connected 3 days before raising this to a fault.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Ignore the BT test for speed results - what does this give http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@old jim this is what it gives me but when i do download i dont get any of this now!! im downloading a file at around 88.0kbps
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Everything back to normal at around midnight,could stream with bbci player and over xbox live,speed connections zoomed back up to what they are meant to be,weird!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are downloading from a download site or server at peak times it will be slower.
At present it seems to be slower than it is supposed to be - not sure why.
This explains the download speeds for unlimited http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml which is one reason for going to Pro if 15GB is enough for you
Just to add that the download speeds are given in kilo bits per sec while download managers etc. often report in kilo bytes per sec (8 bits = 1 byte)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: steve74
im on plusnet unlimited,i have encountered no drop outs as ive been connected for over a day,just rang support who says i gotta stay connected 3 days before raising this to a fault.

I've just read back up this thread and realised that this reply from support is a load of complete and utter b...ocks!
I hope James or Mand is taking this up with the agent concerned and will be making good use of the GM Maestro! (I wish someone would fix that broken image link!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think in all fairness i may have been told that as im still in my ten day training period,i thought i was done but obviously not,so looks like i cant even count to ten anymore lol
@oldjim,yeah i have read about what speeds to expect but for some reason i was not having any speed at all yesterday although surfing the web was fine,perhaps theres a fault in my pc as i got a message this morning saying a usb port had suffered a power surge,never had that before,i think everything likes geting on my t**s for the hell of it. Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could use