cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speed dropped to 350kbps from 2.7mb - could you please reset this?

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: download speed dropped to 350kbps from 2.7mb - could you please reset this?

HI mattdj,
I understand your philosophy about energy saving, I am a great one for it myself. Turning off a router doesn't always cause issues but it sometimes can. I know a router will use very little energy, roughly 0.24kwh per day. So I wonder would it be worth at least leaving it on while we see if it clears the fault. At least that way we can rule that possibility out.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The best option is to leave the router on permanently (I have mine on a UPS so it doesn't drop even during a power cut!).
Second best is to turn it on during daylight hours and then leave it on until you have definitely finished with it for the day  and it will then stay off until the next day.
Third best is similar but turning it on when first needed even if that is late afternoon/evening. This may result in speeds which are a little slower.
Then a long, long, long way behind is to keep turning it on and off several times a day. That is a sure fire way to get [Censored] speeds.
Don't forget that turning equipment on and off shortens it's life due to the repeated heat up/cool downs, so the absolutely minimal amount you save by being 'green' will be more than offset by you having to replace the router earlier.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mattdj
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,

I have left it on since sunday, any 'connection drops' would have been me rebooting to change firewall settings, I will leave it on until this is sorted, but can I opt out of being rebanded automatically? because It has been honestly painful trying to get anything done through the Ticket system.
I would much rather opt out as It seems very inpractical to be worried about when I can switch off or reboot a router.
No matter how small an amount of energy it would still be a complete waste Smiley
Cheers,
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mattdj,
Thank you for that. I am looking into the possibility of having you opted out too. I will keep you posted.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI mattdj,
As per your conversation with Ben we have now been able to lift the banding and you should see the results of this within 24-48 hours.
Jojo Smiley
mattdj
Dabbler

Thanks very much for your help Jojo.
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

At your service Matt Smiley