cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain transfer - retain hosting

fishter
Grafter

domain transfer - retain hosting

I just transferred my domain to another registrar (to avoid the renewal cost at plusnet).
I asked them to retain the nameservers as they are, but now I can't access the domain through the domain control panel at plusnet.
And all my email is bouncing as no-one can find an mx record for my domain!
Help!!
(ticket: 24115409)
19 REPLIES 19
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: domain transfer - retain hosting

Have you checked what DNS servers are on the domain with a whois (try www.dnsstuff.com)
If they are not PNs nameservers you need to change them where the domain has moved to.
Then you need to tell PN you want to host the domain on your account.
When you transfer out a domain, PN remove it from their nameservers.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: fishter

I've just tested this and can send email to one of your mailboxes, I ensured that this was addressed to mailbox@yourdomain.co.uk. This is now in the mailbox waiting for collection.
You should be able to view the mx records for your domain by doing a DNS lookup, the following site should be able to assist.
www.dnsstuff.com
Look towards the bottom of the page and there is a heading of 'Hostname Tools'. Within here enter your domain in the DNS Lookup box and select MX from the dropdown. When you click the Lookup button this should give you a list of your MX records.
*edit* I kind of forgot to include the link first time, thanks for the PM Barry Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fishter
Grafter

Quote from: Chris

I've just tested this and can send email to one of your mailboxes, I ensured that this was addressed to mailbox@yourdomain.co.uk. This is now in the mailbox waiting for collection.

My main domain, and the one that gets 99% of my email is a .org.uk, the first part is the same as the .co.uk that you tried.
As I've already raised a ticket I guess I just need to wait for someone to pick it up.
Thanks
Chris
Legend

Hmm let me go have a look, I didn't notice a .org.uk on your account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fishter
Grafter

That's because it's vanished!!  Undecided
Chris
Legend

Ah, the domain control system removed the domain from our side. I've readded this and it should start working shortly. Sorry about that.
fishter
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
I wish I'd noted down the domain settings before I started the transfer.  I don't suppose there's a record somewhere of what the dns record was like last week (or least, before Tuesday!).
Chris
Legend

Were they the ones last updated in 2006? I think I've found the tickets from when they were made so I can pass this information to you if you like?
paulcobb
Grafter

To make things clear regarding domains.
If I have a domain currently with PN as the registrar and using PN nameservers &
I want to make someone else the registrar and still host the domain on my account what is the procedure to follow plz regarding transfer.
Paul
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

co.uk or something else as the process is very different. It also depends on what new registration company you use as with some you can set-up things before the domain is transfered.
For a co.uk you change the IPSTAG to the new regration company. When this happens the domain is removed from your account.
You then make sure the DNS for the domain is using PN's (some reg companies automatically set the name servers to them, others leave them as is)
Once this is confirmed on a whois yiu raise a ticket and ask for PN to add the domain back to your account.
For .com the process does not have a IPSTAG and you have to contact PN to unlock transfers. How the new reg company deals with this differs so I can't explian what to do next.
Like the .co.uk, after the transfer you make sure the nameservers are set to PN and again raise a ticket to have the domain hosted on your account.
There can be downtime with this would could be from a few hours to several days.
fishter
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Were they the ones last updated in 2006? I think I've found the tickets from when they were made so I can pass this information to you if you like?

That would be great.
Thanks again Chris.
PS I notice you've updated my ticket.. I'll leave it open until all settles down.
Username
Grafter

I just transferred my domain to another registrar (to avoid the renewal cost at plusnet).
'tis a shame PlusNet charge such a high amount for renewals - I for one would love to keep my domain names with Plusnet, but they are just not economical  Cry
Chris
Legend

'tis a shame PlusNet charge such a high amount for renewals

Have you seen Just-The-Name? They are owned by PlusNet and the support they offer is top notch!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I get sick of seeing posts pointing us to that - why can't Plusnet charge the same as Just-The-Name? Surely doing it all through a single account on Plusnet has got to be more efficient that messing about with separate accounts on both Plusnet owned companies.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)