cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain_literals_not_allowed

joeybutterface
Grafter

domain_literals_not_allowed

What does the error message "domain_literals_not_allowed" mean from the plus.net email server?
One of my email accounts is trying to send periodic emails to my email account at plus.net but it's getting rejected.
The log file entry says:
May  8 03:45:51 server qmail: 1210232751.151469 delivery 4556: failure: Connected_to_84.92.2.1_but_sender_was_rejected./Remote_host_said:_501_<#@[]>:_domain_literals_not_allowed/
The email was sent to the address postmaster@hostname.domain.com which is setup to automatically redirect to email-username@plusnet-hosted-domain.com.
Any ideas what's wrong here?
4 REPLIES 4
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: domain_literals_not_allowed

I think domain literals are in the format user@[Ip.Address] rather than user@domain.com.  I wonder if you have an address set somewhere (such as the from address, reply to etc...) that is a domain literal that it isn't liking.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joeybutterface
Grafter

Well I just sent an email from my gmail account to:
postmaster@hostname.domain.com
Which redirects straight to:
email-username@plusnet-hosted-domain.com
And it bounced back. No user@ipaddress is used in the chain. Is it possible the plus.net platform doesn't like accepting emails from hostname.domain.com addresses? The hostname.domain.com is the name of the email server which reverses the server IP address resolves to.
The error message in bounce was:
<email-username@plusnet-hosted-domain.com>:
handlers permanentfail
joeybutterface
Grafter

The plus.net server is actually rejecting all email forwarding requests regardless of the domain/subdomain. I'll test redirects to other email services to see if the problem persists everywhere (and is mine to solve).
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know I have noticed this thread and am going to keep an eye out for the results of your testing to other email services to see where the problem lies.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.