Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnects when phone rings

mac
Grafter

disconnects when phone rings

good evening,
been getting disconnections most days for months  and getting fed up , just come back from  holiday and i need it sorting . when the phone rings i get disconnected , now this could be my net gear router causing the problem so i will buy a new one asap to rule it out. i have changed the filter 3 times and gone through to the master socket and its still the same. i have to switch off the router at the plug and wait 10 seconds then switch it back on .
this is why i think its the router ... or could i be wrong???????? thanks
21 REPLIES 21
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: disconnects when phone rings

are you disconnected when the phone rings or when you answer it?  Have you tried this with the router in the test socket (underneath the master socket faceplate)?  Check also that when connected to the test socket with no phone connected to that socket that no phone rings if you are called and see if a "silent" call like that still causes problems.
I doubt this is your router so don't waste money on a new one until you have run more tests. 
mac
Grafter

i get disconnected when i answer the phone,
am getting constant disconnections all day rebooting the router works but even that's becoming harder as i have to reboot it 3 or 4 times
i have tried the master socket and net gear lights are all lit showing no signs of problem WiFi also  goes down.  when it tries to connect it say no connection available
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That does sound like a line fault, if you could run through the checks at http://faults.plus.net that'll make sure your internal network isn't causing any issues and raise a ticket to our faults team who'll get things sorted for you..
mac
Grafter

thanks ticket raised
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try replacing the filter first - I've seen another post today from someone who was getting disconnects when the phone rang and a different filter fixed it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Assuming you've completed all of the relevant checks of trying your equipment into your Test Socket and tried a different Microfilter, I'll look into this tomorrow morning for you.
mac
Grafter

yep, tried all that i can,  first thing was new filters then master. i got noise on the quite line test and complete lost of bt line on very rare occasions.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: mac
i got noise on the quite line test and complete lost of bt line on very rare occasions.

Report this to your telephone provider and whatever you do, dont mention nothing about broadband! (But first make sure your internal wiring is all in good condition)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

As Meh said, I would check with your phone provider to see if there are any issue's with your phone line. If all is OK with your phone line then we can proceed with trying to diagnose the fault.
mac
Grafter

they did a 24 hrs test and the nice Indian man said  all was ok,  well that's what i think he said,  could of been anything  Sad
mac
Grafter

am still no wiser ,
been disconnected again plus net assist popped up and after rebooting modem and computer am connected..
James
Grafter

Hi Mac,
If all is apparently well with your phone, I'd suggest heading over to http://faults.plus.net and raising a fault so we can get an engineer out for you.
mac
Grafter

i have already done that
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi mac,
The fault you raised has been closed, as at some-point when your were going through the diagnostic questions you have stated that your broadband is working.
If possible please re-raise the fault at http://faults.plus.net and we can get this looked into.
Chris