cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnects / shakey connection

magnette
Dabbler

disconnects / shakey connection

I have a really terrible connection. My noise margin rarely goes above 5 db, many days it drops below this. Right now it is 3db and this seems to result in constant disconnects.
This seems to happen night / day around the clock so I would not put it down to how many users are using the system more perhaps down to high atmospheric pressure perhaps.
It seems very silly that my connection be down to a whim of the weather.
Is there anything I can do about this?
My typical line stats
speed = 8128
line attenuation = 33 db
noise margin = 5db
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: disconnects / shakey connection

Hi Magnette,
Disconnections like this are usually due to a problem that is localised to yourself, for example if could be due to wiring, equipment, the line or perhaps at the exchange. Weather can be a factor but not in the majority of cases. I'll take a look at your account now to see what I can suggest.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just checked your connection logs and can see a lot of quite frequent disconnections. Also line tests seem to indicate that your router is losing the DSL signal (synchronisation) as you were off-line when I did this.
I'm going to advise that you use our fault checker at https://faults.plus.net this will give you some suggestions of factors at your side that can be ruled out, once they have it will flag your issue up to support who will look to do some more tests and raise a fault with our suppliers if we see a need to do so.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
magnette
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, I will run the test now. Hopefully it will turn up something useful.
Apprentice
Grafter

If you have a BT mastersocket and can unscrew the lower faceplate try connecting to the TEST socket to see if the connection holds up any better and while the router is plugged in there get the line stats > > link
BT mastersocket etc. have a look at this website
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi all,
Its worth noting that the fault checker will also guide you through connecting to the test socket and gathers the router stats/connection data we need.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Apprentice
Grafter

Thanks for the heads up Adam, fortunately I've not had to use a fault checker in the time I've been with maaf, I guess it will be similar to PN's
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem,
I though I'd best make sure you guys are aware and so save anyone wasting time.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team