Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnects on Thomson

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

disconnects on Thomson

HI, originally posted this on another topic, because it seemed relevant. Could someone advise please? 
  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.msg874464.html#msg874464
A quick do it or don't will suffice. Many thanks,
17 REPLIES 17
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: disconnects on Thomson

Hi,
if you check here: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... you'll find the updating tool (flashing utility) - note the alternative link if you're using Windows 7, instructions and different firmware versions are listed for both v7 and v8 TG585s.
As long as you're using Windows and connected directly to the port 1 on the router as described with an ethernet cable it's quite straightforward.
If upgrading the firmware were to cause any problem (unlikely), you'll see the previous version is there anyway so you should be able to go back to what you currently have if you need to.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Walker, will give it a go next weekend when I not (hopefully) got Flu.  Cry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rogadodge,
Hope you feel better soon, please let us know how the flash goes - hope it sorts things out for you.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Hi, back from the flu and a little bit 'tetchy'. Tried to upgrade, but no success. At first the flashing download zip 'had no content'. Then after downloading again, I get to the permissions and it tells me  'Detected FSM scenarios in your directory'.  But shows nothing, just a blank box.  I can't go any further.  help please.  Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI rogadodge,
I can do this remotely for you. Your router would be offline for about 10 minutes, so just let me know when it's convenient and I'll do it for you.
Jojo Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Jo,
                      I am a bit confused here, I opened a ticket and was told it was not possible to do this.  Which did surprise me, but maybe I didn't explain it properly.
              Any time during the day will be great.  I tend to use the internet most evenings after 1900 Hrs.
I do have to warn you though, when I tried to install the software it got to a stage where it 'crawled ' for 2 Hours. Then failed. yet again though, it was probably something I did wrong.
Many thanks in advance Jo,
        Martin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Martin,
Is the V8 plugged in at the moment as I can detect it on our remote management system? And if so, is it the one you got from us?
Jojo Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Hi Jojo, yes it is always plugged in, and it is the one i got from you BUT it is the second one I received,so if you have wrong password, it may be for old one if records not updated. Am loathe to put password on here, for obvious reasons. Will, if I can, send you PM. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI rogadodge,
I've upgraded that remotely now, see if that helps.
Jojo Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Many thanks Jojo,
                                not sure what I was doing wrong. Will give it a week to see if I get any disconnects, and report back.
                                      Once again, Many Thanks 
                                                                                          Martin.  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I hope things go OK with that, I'll pass your thanks to Jojo when she's back in the office. Let me know if you need any help in the meantime.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the update, but I'm not sure if it has resolved a problem and given me an even bigger one.
Now, I seem to get disconnects from the router, but it doesn't need resetting. I just have to open the connect to a network box, and reconnect.
If that was all, irritating though it is, I could live with it. However, my speed has dropped drastically, download and upload too.  Though 1.5Mb should be ok, something is wrong because I now get disconnected from World of Warcraft too. It shouldn't disconnect at this speed. latency isn't a problem either.
This is worst wireless speed obtained today.
[/url
This is wired.
[url=http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk]

This is after rebooting the router (again).

After this the speed drops continually.

Here is my kitz results.
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:52:32
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 19,339 / 8,284
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 7,695
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 7.29 / 66.61
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.5 / 40.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 16,797 / 9,620
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 24,338 / 30
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 460 / 122
The bandwith up/down seems to contradict the actual download speeds.
Sorry about the long post, just wanted to give as much info as possible. Would  love to get it sorted sooner rather than later, as had a great 14 months after a disastrous start with PN ( not Plusnets fault, was a loose connection in box on main road- bad BT ).

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rogadodge,
I've arranged for another router to be sent out. Let's see how it goes with that.
Jojo Smiley
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Bear in mind that the My Broadband Speed site is performing poorly - here's a MBS speedtest, followed by a speedtest.net one straight afterwards.