Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnections / strong winds?

Tsonga
Grafter

disconnections / strong winds?

Just a quick question for you experts.
I had just had the longest period without disconnections, almost seven days!
And then, in the last 2 or 3 days, I have had to reconnect on a regular basis (well, 2 or 3 times a day).
Just wondering if there could be be a link with the high winds we've been having. Don't laugh, I am not very technical... Well, actually, do laugh, it's good for you!  Wink
Cheers!
20 REPLIES 20
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: disconnections / strong winds?

Yes, easily - the wind may be blowing rain into gaps in seals that it would not normally get to, or even stretching wires to the point that contact is actually broken. We can and do get a lot of weather related faults.
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply, Orbrey!
Glad to know that my instincts were right.  Cool
home99
Grafter

I can virtually tell you the weather report without looking outside my window simply by trying to connect.
Heavy rain equals no connection at all, where as light rain equals slow speeds and regular disconnects.
Unfortunatley it doesnt quite work the other way  Embarrassed
Dave
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

We used to get fluctuating speeds, occasional disconnections, and a lot of noise on the line in wet'n'windy weather till a nice BT man thoroughly cleaned out the casing at the top of the telephone pole where all the wires are connected and trimmed and reconnected our wires. Water was getting inside the casing and taking a while to drain out on account of all the muck and rubbish (mostly dead spiders and suchlike, the BT chappie said!).
This was after BT swore on several occasions there was nothing wrong with our connection.
PlusNet insisted they investigated properly (ie made a visit to the house to prove it wasn't our internal wiring/equipment that was the cause) and it got fixed.
It's worth making a fuss to get a stable connection!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Yes, easily - the wind may be blowing rain into gaps in seals that it would not normally get to, or even stretching wires to the point that contact is actually broken. We can and do get a lot of weather related faults.

Well done orbrey, in another topic you said,
....I daren't ask what you'd want to know before you'd call yourself knowledgeable

I said well done because you have quite an intriguing explanation. It is not quite accurate.
I speak as a chap who used to be a Post Office lineman nearly sixty years ago. What you say is not far off. It is a bit amusing.
It is correct however in pointing out that the local BT network is not well maintained. I suffered myself with a couple of intermittent faults fairly recently. I was lucky enough to get a couple of present day engineers, who were able to understand what I explained to them needed looking at. It is very difficult to find someone in BT with the necessary experience.
Without being nasty, I doubt if many ISP chaps (or chappesses) have enough knowledge to counter the wall which is erected by BT in their choice of people who deal with customers' fault reports. Many of them have very limited experience in the work involved. I find that the methods taught to find intermittent faults a bit hair raising. We would have had our backsides kicked if we had crashed about as they do now.
If any present day BT person would like to discuss what I allege, then I will be pleased to hear from them. I doubt very much that I will hear anything.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

The BT chappie who sorted out our fault told me that once upon a time they had machines which sent a high voltage shot down the line which effectively sealed any minor breaks in the wires which might be causing problems and which would be difficult to find by conventional means. Nowadays, they aren't allowed to use this 'cure-all' (elf'n'safety,?), so it's much more tricky as they have to pinpoint a fault exactly and fix it.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Quote from: Mad
The BT chappie who sorted out our fault told me that once upon a time they had machines which sent a high voltage shot down the line which effectively sealed any minor breaks in the wires which might be causing problems and which would be difficult to find by conventional means. Nowadays, they aren't allowed to use this 'cure-all' (elf'n'safety,?), so it's much more tricky as they have to pinpoint a fault exactly and fix it.

The 'machine' referred to is a megger. They still do exist. The high voltage used breaks down the high resistance (h/r in the jargon) joints which are commonly encountered in aluminium conductor cables. It is of course only a temporary cure. Check this,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megger
If there is a fault of this nature on a circuit it is possible that it may also be temporarily broken down by the ringing current. The voltage of which is 75v, it is a 17 cycle AC signal. This is why that if an automated line test is used, it may result in a temporary clear when the customer is rung to be advised of the test result.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actual log this morning shows exactly that
Automatic Resynch
Mar 15 02:49:55xDSL linestate up (downstream: 2400 kbit/s, upstream: 224 kbit/s; output Power Down: 17.5 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 51.0 dB, Up: 25.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 7.0 dB)
Automatic Resynch
Mar 15 04:27:11xDSL linestate up (downstream: 2496 kbit/s, upstream: 192 kbit/s; output Power Down: 18.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 51.0 dB, Up: 25.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 7.0 dB)
Manual Resynch
Mar 15 10:07:47xDSL linestate up (downstream: 3200 kbit/s, upstream: 192 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 51.0 dB, Up: 25.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 7.0 dB)
Incoming telephone call – then manual resynch
Mar 15 10:24:05xDSL linestate up (downstream: 3584 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 50.0 dB, Up: 24.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 15.0 dB)
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Oldjim,
There's a lot of it about, it seems.
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Please do not quote the previous post in full as per the Forum Rules]
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Improvement didn't last
Mar 15 10:53:14xDSL linestate up (downstream: 3264 kbit/s, upstream: 256 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 51.0 dB, Up: 25.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 7.0 dB)
Mar 15 10:59:54xDSL linestate up (downstream: 3296 kbit/s, upstream: 256 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 51.0 dB, Up: 25.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 16.0 dB, Up: 6.0 dB)
Mar 15 11:01:01xDSL linestate up (downstream: 3296 kbit/s, upstream: 256 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 51.0 dB, Up: 25.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 6.0 dB)

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Oldjim,
That's the trouble with my wise words about temporary clears.
I often find that I'm not necessarily the answer to a maiden's prayer. Alas, the story of my life so far.
I am convinced that all you read in these forums, aired by knowledgeable folk, is not always correct.
Bob
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Please do not quote the previous post in full as per the link:rules]
Oldjim
Resting Legend

While waiting for mod to correct your post for breach of rules  Sad
Once the men with diggers have finished in the road so that access to the wires/pole is possible I will raise a combined phone/broadband fault and see where it gets me. However I may also wait until we get more winds and rain as well  Undecided
Bob_Milton
Grafter

PlusNet have never considered the forums, either the Community Site, PUG or the previous portal forums, to be an offical support mechanism ....

I am of course sorry if I have caused offence, in regard to this forum.
If I remember correctly, there was a request from PlusNet to report problems with the Postini 'trial' on these forums. I seem to remember reading that. In fact problems were reported in that way ?Huh
I also seem to remember Phil Webb 'rescuing' a ticket which appeared to have been delayed. I do know that a ticket of mine was delayed for quite a long time.
Perhaps you can advise me if I am wrong in my recollection.
Maybe the thing which puzzles me is that it is sometimes difficult to ascertain when the comments by PlusNet staff on these forums is an 'official' view. Do Plusnet staff never give an 'official' answer to a query?
Perhaps if one of the staff do contribute, then they could be asked to confirm if it is 'official' or a personal view.
Let me add, I don't want to restrict anyone from adding comments.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

PJ,
You say,
At no time should the average customer be required to use the forums to request support with PlusNet services. That is not to say customers are not welcome to do so, but any such help from users will be unofficial until such time PlusNet staff intervene and provide support through the normal channels.

Is that to be taken as PlusNet's official policy? No doubt we shall be informed of that publicly, possibly in a newsletter ?? I guess there will not be any confusion.
Possibly moderators will be able to help by advising customers of the 'approved' method of seeking help if an 'official' response is needed.