Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection speed dropped to 0.5MB

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: connection speed dropped to 0.5MB

That used to be the wiring standard.  Disconnecting the bell wire might make a marked difference before you do anything else...  Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What have Faults had to say, your speed it banded, what ever sent it down, may have been made worse if you rebooted a lot and just unplugged and plugged things in and out swapping things etc.You need to do "graceful" disconnects in these circumstances.
mdc
Grafter

Downstream SNR Margin of 22dB doesn't look too pretty.
At a 6dB margin you're looking at around 9mbps sync, assuming your line is of decent quality, based on your attenuation.
My guess would be either you've got an HR fault somewhere, and DLM has put you on the 288-575 banded profile, or there was some disruption to the line (roadworks, construction, etc) that occurred when you weren't using it, and DLM responded to that.
It's quite possible a ccSNR would sort things out, which PlusNet can do from their 1st/2nd line support (give them a call).
If that doesn't sort it out, it could indeed be an HR fault in which case OR are going to have to come out anyway; might as well wait for that before replacing the master socket yourself.
You said you don't have one already; I assume you mean you've got an old fixed-plate LJ 2/1A; not having a master socket at all doesn't really make sense Tongue In which case, you can simulate the NTE5 test socket by removing the LJ 2/1A, pulling the wiring except for 2 and 5, and then plugging directly into it.
Anotherone
Champion

I was going to add, if all was hunky dory you should be able to sync at over 9mbps on that line. I hope none of the extension sockets are masters ie have bell capacitors and resistors, chop them off if they have.
I doubt it was anything to do with an HR fault mdc, but it is banded.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: thebigyin
I have raised a ticket but after 48 hours I still have had no response from the tech team. How long does it take them to respond?Huh

How did you raise the fault ticket - phone call or direct through the support centre on the portal or via http://faults.plus.net ?
Posting the ticket number on here will greatly assist the CRT to get on the case.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thebigyin
Grafter

lol aye it used to be a long time ago.... back in the days of pulse dialing.... oh the days  Cheesy  but i have already removed the bell wire from the extension...... but it really doesn't explain the big drop in connection speed, and I am only going to fit a "proper" master socket for my own peace of mind as my house does not have one atm (its an old property)
Fault haven't got back to me yet and its been over 48 hours thats why I am on here and I haven't been doing lots of disconnects
mdc
i usually only had speeds of about 5-6Mbps but having 0.5Mbps just sux and yes I have the old fixed plate I am just going to change it so I have the NTE5
thebigyin
Grafter

townman
it was through the http://faults.plus.net - #99437595
Anotherone
Champion

CRT will pick it up in the morning. I assume before this drop you hadn't had a dropping connection, in which case they'll probably do an SNR Reset for you, but once done you have to wait the 10 days before BTw will consider a fault if there's any ongoing problem. But if a line issue comes up that shouldn't be an issue they can get OR to fix a phone fault. They'll do a CLT first just to check anyway.
thebigyin
Grafter

never noticed any drops ....could have happened during the night though, but I guess it will have to wait till morning need to go for a sleep got a busy day, but cheers all for trying to help..... maybe pick it up again when i get home from work.  Wink