cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection issues

sandyt87
Dabbler

connection issues

HI there, I have just transferred over to plus net from a very awful O2 home access package.  Unfortunatly I have not been able to connect this evening after receiving my email that I was connected.  I'm using a linksys am200 adsl modem to connect up.  I had this same problem for a week with O2 who told me it must be the router I was using.
  I assured the CS guy that it wasnt and the problem lay with trying to hook up to their servers but hey what do I know.  SO I tried the new router in just to shut them up and still no joy.  I decided to migrate to +net since they had a better package and it was a few quid cheaper (and a customer service that actually helps people rather than tell them to reset the router ever sodding time).
Basically I have done the fault checker questions to the end and now its running a connection test.  Im using mobile broadband to type this but I pretty sure that wont affect my modem thats connected through ethernet. 
Here is what my modem page is telling me (recently updated the firmware but still no joy).
Software Version: 1.19.02
ADSL Version: 7.2.3.0
Boot Code Version: 0.01
MAC Address: 00-1C-10-02-DB-49
System Uptime: 00:00:01:07

DSL Status

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: Auto
DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate: 4512 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 12 db
Upstream Margin: 24 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 43
Upstream Line Attenuation: 58
Downstream Transmit Power: 19
Upstream Transmit Power: 12
LOS Errors: 0

PVC Connection

PVC Status: DOWN
Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

Internet Connection

PPP Login: Down
Internet IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Internet Netmask: 0.0.0.0
Internet Gateway: 0.0.0.0
As you can see nothing really out of the ordinary( well except the internet connection issue  :'().  I have an extension lead from the phone socket up to my room with a filter on the end (just so the modem is in easy reach and so I could eliminate the long ethernet cable from the list of causes). The house phone is filtered and I have disconnected the ringing wire and the other wire (no.3 if i remember correctly.)  so that only 2 and 5 remain.  I have also listened down the phone to see if there is and noise on the line and there doesn't appear to be any at all. 
I checked samknows for the status of my home exchange and it seems there is nothing untoward on there.  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSFRA
As an extra my broadband with O2 worked for one night (18th may) and I was able to use it no problem and even got counterstrike source (3GB game) downloaded off of steam.
I'm at my wits end I think I've tried everything I know how to do. So I'm passing it over to the masses in the hope that someone somewhere knows a fix for it. 
Many thanks for your time
Sandy
27 REPLIES 27
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: connection issues

It looks as though your Line is Sync'ed to the Exchanged but your PPPOA Authentication has failed.
1) Make sure that your username is entered in your Modem setup in the format  username@plusdsl.net
2) Call the PlusNet customer service number and ask them to initiate your service.
PlusNet used to have an automatic derection script which recognised a new customer's attempts to connect and initiated the service after about 20 mins so you nmay find that this has already happenrd.
Welcome to PlusNet
Edit: No space between userne and @plusdsl.net
sandyt87
Dabbler

Thanks for your quick reply!  Im guessing that there is no space inbetween the username and the @ ? 
I'll get straight onto CS just now see if they can activate it.
Thanks again
Sandy
sandyt87
Dabbler

Hey I phoned CS and the guys said he would refresh the settings at his end to see if that sorts out the problem.
He also said to reset the modem to see if that fixes the fault. 
I'm just praying that this does work. I really dont want to be going the next few days without BB considered I've paid for this month. 
But from what i've seen +net are quite good at sorting these things out.
Thanks for your time again
Sandy
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Just checked your account and it all looks OK to me. TBH your router settings look absolutely fine too. Having said that there's nothing in our RADIUS logs to suggest that your connection attempts have reached our servers. I've just run a line test on your circuit and there's nothing in BT's RADIUS logs either.
That to me suggests misconfiguration of your kit, a router problem or a genuine line fault. It will be interesting to see what our faults team make of it hen they pick your fault ticket up.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sandyt87
Dabbler

Yeah I don't get it either! I think im happy to rule out the ADSL modem since its worked flawlessly for a year and a half when I was with pipex.  Hmm if you have no log of me trying to connect I think there may be line fault somewhere.  O2 had advised me the day after my BB with them had worked, that a BT engineer had been to the exchange to "rewire and reconfigure the exchange".  It was only AFTER then that I had no broadband.  I don't know what he did but its given me a constant headache. 
I'm suspecting that its maybe at the exchange due to the above reason and the fact that your records show no attempt by my PC to connect. 
If a BT engineer had to come out to my house, would I be charged for the call out if he sees I have disconnected the ring wire from the master socket? I took advice from kitz.co.uk that this would help somewhat since the ring wire acts as an antenna picking up all sorts of crap. 
I myself am a trainee comms engineer so Im used to this kind of stuff and its just aggravating to not to be able to just go fix it. Plus im an impatient sod at the best of times haha.
I hope that your faults team can shed a bit more light on the situation
Many thanks
Sandy
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Bob's on the case and you're in good hands. I am sure your problem will be resolved tomorrow.  Smiley
James
Grafter

Hi Sandy,
Like Bob, I can't see any problems with your line.
From experience with Lynksis routers, I think you actually have to forcibly tell some models to connect.  Can you see if there's an option to do that?
If that doesn't help, would you mind doing a factory reset of your router and then reenter the settings as per this page?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/general_setup_guide.shtml
sandyt87
Dabbler

Yep there is most definatly a button to connect and thats what I tried doing all last night!  I'll try the restore to factory settings tonight when I get in.  But not even the BT logins were working last night (so its not you guys at fault here).  If I get no joy with my AM200, ill try my old speedtouch usb modem and see what I get from that.
I'll report back once I get all that done.
Thanks again for your time and effort
Sandy
itsme
Grafter

Is not the problem more to do with
PVC Connection
PVC Status:   DOWN
Encapsulation:    RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing:    VC
Autodetect:    Disable
VPI:    0
VCI:    38

then PPP?
In the settings is there an option to enable autodetect?
sandyt87
Dabbler

Yes there is but I thought that since I had inputed the VCI and VPI it wouldn't need to be auto.  I'll certainly try it. 
Just to add a bit of info, I did do a factory reset last night, I just didnt know i had.  I held in the reset button for 10 secs and that resets the modem back to factory defaults.  I re-entered all the information like username@plusdsl.net and P/word xxxxxxxx. 
There is definatly nothing else I have to input to my modems settings? How about the windows side of things? 
Do I have to disable my mobile broadband dial up connection?  I did think it wouldn't but I dont know anymore. 
Anything else that I may have missed?
Sandy
James
Grafter

Sandy,
As this is a public forum, I've taken the liberty of editing your post to remove your username.  I hope you don't mind.
RFC 2364 is g.DMT isn't it?
sandyt87
Dabbler

Thats ok Jameseh no problem  Smiley  .  i couldn't find much info linking rfc2364 to g.DMT (im at work so I haven't got too much time to surf hehe). Why do you ask ? Is there a setting that it
should be set at?
As far as i'm aware, RFC2364 is Point to point over ATM and g.DMT is the modulation type, but thats as far as my knowledge goes. 
Btw here is a link to my modems manual.  I thought it might come in handy as a reference and to see if you could spot any setting that needs tweeked. 
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/AM200
Thanks again for your time
Sandy
James
Grafter

Hmm 😕
That modulation is absolutely fine. Let us know how you get on with the frog?
sandyt87
Dabbler

Will do matey hopefully I'll get finished soon so I can check this out.  If the USB Frog works, then I guess its time for a new router.
If it doesn't work, where do we go from here?
Sandy