cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection constantly dropping

alexena
Hooked

connection constantly dropping

Hi there, been having a problem with my broadband for the last week or so. Our connection shows as limited on Windows, and it comes up on webpages there is no internet connection. This lasts for a few minutes or so, then the internet comes back up. Phoned plusnet and was told that the router password was wrong, this was fixed but the problem kept occurring. Phoned again and was told it was possibly a problem with the router so was sent out a new one. Plugged the new router in and the problem is still happening, also changed the adsl and microfilter cable. The internet light on the router when this happens goes off or red. No one at plusnet seems to know what's going on, but this issue is now getting very frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated.

Note, as i tried to post this, the internet went off again at 15:45!

Edit! As of 18:57, we've been scheduled for a engineer visit as they believe the problem lies with the phone line.

8 REPLIES 8
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: connection constantly dropping

Could be a line fault. I had similar once and turned out to be damp getting into the connection where cable comes into house. Presume PN have checked your line though?

alexena
Hooked

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Plusnet have checked the line over the phone three times, and they say it's fine. It's been off again just now! 

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Are you connected to the router wirelessly or wired? Is it the same for all devices on the network?

alexena
Hooked

we're connected wirelessly and it's happening with everyone on the network. sorry for late reply, it's constantly disconnecting us.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

I've taken a look at your account and can see we're looking into a line fault for you and that an engineer is due to visit tomorrow.

Feel free to drop us a reply here if there's any further problems after the visit and I'll follow things up with you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
alexena
Hooked

Hi Adam, engineer visited yesterday and said the issue was a cable in the exchange. Our internet was fine yesterday, but today it's been off three times already. As usual, it comes up limited, internet disappears then comes back a minute later. What else could this be? Also, engineer said we were only getting 9mbps speed.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

I can see the cabling issue at the exchange has been fixed which is good. Two or three connection drops can be quite normal so I feel it best that we monitor things over at lest the next 24 hours to judge if the issue is fixed or not.

I'll review things with you later today and if need be I can make sure a colleague looks at this for you tomorrow too.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
alexena
Hooked

Hi Adam. Plugged the router into another phone line box and the internet was solid for the remainder for yesterday. Today however, our internet started disconnecting every four minutes at roughly 9 or 10 tonight. I understand that some connection disconnects are normal, but its getting a little ridiculous. Just waiting for the next time it disconnects. We've had plusnet for 6 months, and were quite happy with the service until this issue started.