cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chromecast

Prx1988
Dabbler

chromecast

I posted this in the community hardware forum, but think it's router related so am reporting here.  Hope that's ok.
Has anyone managed to get a UK Chromecast working with PN?  The set up fails at the last stage.  It looks like the Chromecast gas joined the network (it says so on screen and the router shows it as a connected device) but no devices can actually connect to it.)
Google's help suggests AP isolation as being the cause, but I can't find any way to change that on my Technicolor TG582n FTTC Broadband router.
I've tried switching the firewall off and the network is on channel 1 so the channel 13 issue (which may have been fixed by Google anyway) isn't the issue.
The chromecast worked fine at my Mum's (on, ahem, TalkTalk) but refuses to work for me.  All other devices including Apple TV/airplay work ok.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Paul
17 REPLIES 17
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: chromecast

Silly Q but it has got the right ip/gateway for PN?
Just wondering if it remembered your other settings.
Prx1988
Dabbler

There's a reset button to revert it to factory settings (on the chromecast) & I've done that  (twice!)
P.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Can you check it's ip address and then on the other device check it is looking for the same ip. It might be remembering the old ip.
Don't have one so just generic Q's.
Prx1988
Dabbler

It hasn't got any buttons apart from a reset button.  It shows up in the router's list of connected devices and the TV screen shows it connected to my wifi..... Just can't connect to it.  (Neither can I ping any device from my laptop)
RussB

Worked fine with no router alterations when I fitted mine last week. I'm using a Draytek Vigor 2860n, WiFi is set up mixed g+n, channel 1, no isolation of members, WPA2/PSK. UPnP on, IGMP Proxy off, IGMP Snooping off. Only really non standard thing I'm doing is running IPv6 on the LAN&WAN.
Prx1988
Dabbler

Ap isolation is what google suggests is the issue..... How can I change it on my router? I don't see it mentioned in the manual.  Angry
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Prx1988

Google's help suggests AP isolation as being the cause, but I can't find any way to change that on my Technicolor TG582n FTTC Broadband router.

The default for the Technicolor router is AP Isolation disabled.
Proof:
You can confirm this  by using the telnet command  "wireless mssid iflist ssid_id=0"
Result from my router:
SSID                   : xxxxxxxx (ssid 0/0)
Admin state            : up
Oper state             : up
AP Isolation           : disabled
Public network (any)   : enabled
Security Mode          : WPA-PSK
This guy got one working with a TG582n
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125300.0.html
Prx1988
Dabbler

So how do I unset ap isolation ( and what else might break if I did?)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Err, AFAIK AP Isolation disabled is the setting you need.
If you wish to try AP Isolation enabled you need to use the following two telnet commands:
wireless mssid ifconfig ssid_id=0 apisolation=enabled
saveall

And to return to default:
wireless mssid ifconfig ssid_id=0 apisolation=disabled
saveall

For more info on telnet commands for this router:
http://npr.me.uk/
Prx1988
Dabbler

Yea, you are correct...  So ap isolation is supposed to be disabled, and it is on my router (checked using the telnet command above - thanks for that)
Back to the drawing board!
I wonder if it is something to do with the fact that it was initially set up on a different network and the reset isn't "hard" enough?
chuckster
Grafter

My Chromecast is working ok.  Got an ASUS  DSL-N55U.  Only issue I had was proxy settings interfering with the final portion of setup.  Turned off the proxy and all working.  Could your AV be website checking by using a proxy pointing to itself?
Prx1988
Dabbler

Apologies, a huckster, I don't quite understand your last sentence......

P.
chuckster
Grafter

Sorry, I didn't word it very we'll I know.
Basically I was using my Nexus 5 but it kept failing at the last bit of the setup after joining my wifi network.  My Nexus couldn't then see the Chromecast..  Ended up doing it via the laptop with he Chromecast App which worked fine.  Both phone and laptop are running Kaspersky.
On the Nexus it does website checking and o do this it adds a proxy setting of itself (127.0.0.1) to the wifi network setting on the phone, which was stopping the connection to the Chromecast.  This depends a lot on how you're connecting to it, but might be worth a look on the advanced settings of your wifi network connection on your device, or your browser settings to see if you have a proxy set which could be causing the issue.
Hope that makes sense.
Prx1988
Dabbler

Getting nowhere fast here.....
Reset the Chromecast and used the OSX app to configure with exactly the same result.
Help suggests that ap isolation be disabled. It is.  It also suggests that uPNP be enabled.  It is.
I can't see that I have any proxies set up, but still it fails.
P.