cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

channel bonding

triangle

channel bonding

I unfortunately am one of the forgotten 10% that will still be without a decent broadband speed long after £Ms have been spent upgrading those lucky enough to already have more than 2Mb. Whilst those have wonderful access to 24Mbps and above I will still be sat here with my speed operating from 0.7Mb to 1.4Mb on a good day. I've asked why plusnet won't prompt BT to introduce channel bonding (bonding 2 cables together in effect). They say because BT won't offer it. And that apparently is that.
Has anyone had any success in improving this situation as 10% is a lot of people to let down. I'm quite mad the govt has allowed local authorities to go ahead with a project that will most certainly avoid helping those the project should be helping the most. Its easy to deliver a project that avoids the difficult stuff!
6 REPLIES 6
avatastic
Grafter

Re: channel bonding

Bonding over ADSL is possible, but you may need to use a different ISP to manage it - http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/Bonding
(Unless you want to grow your own solution using 2 IP addresses and just do it yourself)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
maximod
Grafter

I know exactly how you feel !
At one point i looked in to line bonding, but it was expensive, iirc in effect you pay for 2 adsl lines.
All you can do is use a quality filtered face plate on the linebox and use any phones through the filtered part, and use a short  lead from faceplate to the router.
I am on a 5.5km line and on a market 1 exchange, what gripes me is i pay more than friends of mine that pay less (being on market 2/3) and they have far better speed to boot !
Call it the Cameron effect !
Paul.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the comments and feedback on this, it looks like something I'm sure we'd be interested in, however having experience in channel bonding and sharedband services solutions at present can require expertise to set up and manage and can be costly unfortunately. I hope that's something that changes in the future as I'm sure a lot of people could benefit from an easy and low cost solution.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
godsell4
Rising Star

What about PN giving the option to install the Broadband Regenerators? As mentioned on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5600-better-broadband-for-one-small-part-of-scotland.html
My exchange only line is just over 6km long, currently synced at 3.2Mb, but of course limited to 2.5Mb by how BT like ADSL to work.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks, I'll have a look through that shortly.
EDIT: I've just been discussing this with Dave, whilst that on the surface looks like a good solution the costs are very high for this and the grounds on which BTW would be able to provide this via BTOR (which is the route we'd have to take rather than go straight to BTOR) are very restrictive.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
triangle

I've been reliably informed that although Coventry and Warwickshire has a budget of £16M to spend on the superfast broadband project they will still miss out 10% because for these locations they can't ask for fibre to be installed (some roads can be dug up and others not!) However as these properties already have copper lines installed, then channel bonding is an option that can be considered, even if they need to put in some type of line booster, its still better than digging up miles of road.
Add the C &W budget to other authorities and it looks like a nice little earner for BT if they don't intend doing much for the money. I've heard they are waiting for this project to enable them to start cabling areas such as business parks they erm forgot to cable appropriately a few years ago.
Perhaps Plusnet should look at the bid and propose a solution that does offer a solution, after all it won't be Plusnet money that pays for it it will from taxpayers, and with a sensibly placed solution that does cater for 10% you would be offering a far better solution than BT is proposing.
At the moment all I hear (and from plusnet too unfortunately) is that if BT don't offer that solution then that solution doesn't exist. Is anyone with any influence brave enough to challenge this?