Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can any one help with this

zimboy69
Dabbler

can any one help with this

hi
i just moved to plusnet yesterday and noticed that my connection appears to be capped at 2 megs
it never  rises above this and almost all the time  sits maxed out  at 2 megs no matter if its 6 at night or 1:30 in the morning im getting 2 megs
i just checked my speed  and  it  was 255kbs at 1:35 in the morning
i tried the test for bt tester  and it said  error  with my phone number
i know my old connection would give me  between 0.3 megs and 6 megs depending on time of day  so i know my line can give me  more than 2megs
i moved to plusnet hoping for a more stable reliable ips so far it has been stable but only at 2 megs
i dont know much about broadband and only been looking on speed checks online and relise one result means nothing  but over the past 5  months with my old isp ive noticed patterns
to  the speed
as long as i discard bad results and really good ones  i get a  reasonable  average of what i am getting at  given points of time
but all day today ive been at 2 megs never moving up or down between 240-250kbs
here is some other info  i can  provide i live on the edge of a town one side is fields the other is my estate, the phone exhange  is 500 meters from my house
my sister lives  next door but one she is around 4 megs  and my frind lives the other side about 10 houses further away and getting around 5 megs
there is only two ways a phone line would come to my house
the only other way would be direct  to the exchange
something  which came up during  my moving to plus net i was told by my old isp that my line is limited to 2 megs but when i pointed out that  in the morning before the phone call i was downloading at 4 megs 
i am now wondering if my line is capped at 2 megs  and didnt work correctly  and now plus net has taken over there is confusion or  error the cap has stayed
how long should i wait before reporting this  or  any tips  or help i can get
20 REPLIES 20
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: can any one help with this

Welcome to Plusnet and the forums.
If you check your Current line speed setting on this Member Centre page, it will probably say 2000, which is the default starting value, and should automatically update to match your BT IP Profile when the BT systems advise them what that is. The BT speedtester will give your IP Profile, if you can persuade it to run. Was the error in the first stage immediately after submitting your phone number? I think it can take a few days for the admin to catch up after a change.
At 500 metres from the exchange you should get a good sync speed, possibly the maximum available on up-to-8M DSL. Posting your router stats (sync/line speeds, attenuations and noise margins)  will enable more informed comment. If you need help to obtain these values this page might help.
David
zimboy69
Dabbler

this is what is says my current linespeed is i coppied and pasted it
Estimated line speed:
    8 - Checked on 2010-02-04 15:41:29
Current line speed:
zimboy69
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
Welcome to Plusnet and the forums.
. Was the error in the first stage immediately after submitting your phone number? I think it can take a few days for the admin to catch up after a change.this page might help.

it was  straight away
after the phone number it did a check and nothing
all it said was
System Error Image not loaded
Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number:0182*******. Please check that it is the correct telephone number for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again.If you believe it is the correct number for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If yes, then ask him for the Service ID of your broadband connection and try again with this Service ID along with your Telephone Number. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

also this morning at 7:30 my speed was  256kbs
the other stuff you mentioned about the router i am a complete noob and have no idea what  or where to find it did look and unless it says its x,y,z i am at a loss but  maybe if i give you my  router brand  you could point me in the correct direction

its a thompson tg585 v7
zimboy69
Dabbler

ah i think ive found it

Uptime: 0 days, 22:22:04
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 15.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 134
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 107

is this what u want ?
cant find anything that says line sync or speed
zimboy69
Dabbler

one final bit of info that might help
on some speed tests before  and even now   i would be hovering around a 1 meg connection  for  almost all  the  whole test eg if the test took 30 secs  for the download part, it  would be  1 meg for  29 secs and on the  final sec  i would be off the chart i would end up with a result in excess of  20 megs once i even had  50 megs download  i know my exchange is only 8 megs so i have no idea whats going on with this and i only posted this info incase it  points to the problem
this led me to finding  different speed tests online as i knew these results couldnt be correct  
i currently use one that downloads a file of 5 megs  which i use all the time it  appears to give a true reading all the time of  what i can recive and i dont get any crazy results  
other info since i was getting crazy results with some speed tests i have put windows 7 on  my pc  but the crazy results are still with me
WWWombat
Grafter

Hi zimboy69,
These are indeed the line stats, and they look rather good quality - certainly seem to be right for being 500m from the exchange (though the line is probably rather longer).
I'm not an expert on any peculiarities of the Thomson, so someone else might point those out, but I can see:
Quote from: zimboy69
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

That's the line-speed, showing you have sync'd at 8128 downlink. Fastest possible rate, with interleaving turned off.
Interleaving is used as both protection against, and recovery from, errors on the line, but you don't seem to have many, so off is OK.
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 15.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 12.0

The 15.0 is the attenuation downstream, which is a measure of how loudly the signal is getting through from the exchange.
A value of 15.0 suggests your line is about 1km long. It is also a value where we would expect you to get a sync rate of 8128 (with interleaving off) or about 7600 (with interleaving on).
The 12.0 is your noise margin, which shows how much resilience your current line speed has against any noise on the line.
As you live close to the exchange, and are already getting the top line speed, then the higher this number is, the better. 12, for you, is good.
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 134
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 107

All these figures suggest a very low level of faults on the line, and no disconnections.
All together, the lines stats say to me that the ADSL connection from your to the exchange is absolutely fine, and nothing to worry about.
From the "8128" line speed figure, BT calculates your profile, and Plusnet get a copy - for 8128, the profile should be set to 7150. This sets the top limit of how many kbps you can expect to see.
When running speed testers, the overheads mean that the best they could show is somewhere in the region of 6700 kbps.
One of your messages suggests that PlusNet have the right profile value, but the fact that your BT speedtest hasn't yet run means we haven't seen their figure.
Your problem could therefore be something in the BT network (limiting the profile), or something in the PlusNet network (capping your throughput in some other way).
I have seen mentioned on here that the BT profile defaults to 2M if something goes wrong. Could that have happened here?
Or could it because the 10-day training period has started again?
Someone else will have better answers to those questions than me...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the BT test  http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ require that you have an up to date Java.  
note the often missed tick box above the phone number on the first page.
You only have to enter the red * boxes, i.e. phone number on first page and PN Username on second page.
The preferred PN speed test is http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

your router stats indicate that after the initial traing period  - 10 days - you will get 8128 synch, this should give a profile of 7150 and down load of about 6000
try to leave your router on for the first 10 days and only switch on in the period of half hour after sun rise till about 3 pm, other times will give you a low synch and affect your BT speed
Edit the Wombat beat me to it
zimboy69
Dabbler

so i should leave my router turned on 24/7 for 10 day
but i am not sure  what u mean about switch on  in the period  of half a hour   after sunrise to 3 pm
can u expalin  in simple terms as im a little bit thick Smiley
also that speed checker is one that appears to give me false readings i just downloaded at the rate of 8.57m/bs  yes megs a sec  but when i watch it  it  sits around 900-1000 kb/s     for the whole test  then the last second  its off the scale  like im in a ferari  with my foot on the floor

i can see my broadband monitor  flat lined  the  whole time at  2 megs  so i know i am not getting more than  2 megs as the image below shows
dick:quote
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yes, You should leave the router plugged in to the phone socket, and also into the mains socket....24/7 ..... this will show the BT equipment, that the line is "operational", and the systems will monitor the line to see if there is any faults.
If you are asked, or need to, re-boot (power down and re apply power) then you should only do it once during daylight hours..... you need to leave the router unplugged from the mains only, for about 10 -15 minutes, for a re-boot to be effective..... this is usually used to "up the synch speed".... and eventually your profile with BT and PlusNet will increase accordingly....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Basically there is no IP profile set for your line yet, this will be set during the first 10 days however that's what's restricting you to 2Mb at the moment.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
crose
Dabbler

one final bit of info that might help
on some speed tests before  and even now   i would be hovering around a 1 meg connection  for  almost all  the  whole test eg if the test took 30 secs  for the download part, it  would be  1 meg for  29 secs and on the  final sec  i would be off the chart i would end up with a result in excess of  20 megs once i even had  50 megs download  i know my exchange is only 8 megs so i have no idea whats going on with this and i only posted this info incase it  points to the problem

I also have this problem when taking speedtests and I too seen to have  top speeds stuck around the 2 Mbps mark on an IP profile of 7 Mbps.
Could there be any connection?
zimboy69
Dabbler

whats going on now

as stated above my speed was at 2 megs  but on friday  it changed to 6 -7 megs  i was well chuffed
lowest was around 4 megs highest around 7  but average was  around 6 megs
turned on  saturday  back down to 2 megs
been there ever since
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

First.... run a BT speed test, and post the result on here.....
Second, what does your profile from PlusNet say......
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection&?membermenu=connectionsettings
log in .... then go to  "high speed broadband".... copy and paste that on here too ...
Third.... can you access your router, and post the SNR, Download  attenuation and synch speed figures
zimboy69
Dabbler

thanks for the reply

firstly speed test ive found give me a fake reading as explained above
the only speed test ive found that works  is one from thinkbroadband where u down load a 5 meg file and this gives a better picture

this is what pluss net says
Telephone number:
   01824*********
Phone exchange:
   RUTHIN
Estimated line speed:
   8 - Checked on 2010-02-04 15:41:29
Current line speed:
i will post the   router details later  ive just seen the time
dick:quote