cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling plusnet regarding Question 105365741

b2hbm
Grafter

calling plusnet regarding Question 105365741

If someone from Plusnet monitors these forums and can put me in touch with [removed], can you please do so ?
We have a fault on our line, no phone at all and internet speed approaching that of an accoustic modem. It would appear that he has closed our ticket despite a lengthy thread showing a fault exists.
I suspect this was in error  because the thread clearly shows that the Master socket was tested with 3 filters, 3 phones and 2 modems but still shows the same faults as elsewhere in the house. The conclusion of Plusnet helpline was that it's external.  Then the ticket was closed because "I have reported the fault as an internal wiring  issue".
We all make mistakes, so ok, let's move on.  But the link he gave me to re-open the problem as a new fault doesn't work.  Rather frustratingly I get the following message when I follow his link.....
"Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable.   There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a system error.  A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers. In the meantime, if you're still having problems with your broadband please give us a call."
To recap.
No phone.  Internet appalling.  And I'm asked to follow a link that doesn't work or ring up to report the problem.
This is not a dig at Plusnet.
I've had 2 painfully slow online chats with plusnet staff who also don't know why the fault has been closed. When I reported the fault on Saturday  the call center guy was helpful.  I am aware the fault is outside of Plusnet and in BTOR territory, but as a customer that's not my concern.  
So can someone please sort this out ?
Brian
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak) removed CSA name removed as per Forum Rules ]
[color=green][Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak) changed topic title at OPs request]
11 REPLIES 11
b2hbm
Grafter

Re: calling Plusnet [removed]

ok, I'll try again. I apologise for breaking forum rules.
I was unaware of this and assumed, as Plusnet monitor the forum, that this was a way of contacting people.
Can you please rephrase the topic to "calling plusnet regarding Question 105365741" ?  No people named, just a ticket that someone has closed without solving the problem.
Brian
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: calling plusnet regarding Question 105365741

It's OK, staff will pick it up as they do monitor the forums.
any staff that has touched your tickets will be logged and they'll know who it is.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
b2hbm
Grafter

to whoever renamed the topic  for me,    thank you.  Smiley
b2hbm
Grafter

Is anybody from Plusnet monitoring these forums ?
we've been with Plusnet for almost 10yrs now and I really don't wish to air our problems on a public forum but quite honestly, your systems are forcing people to do exactly that.  I can now understand the frustration shown by some of the other posters here.
To recap -  Still no phone since last Saturday,  BB slow and although I can now complete the BT Openreach speed test it cannot complete everything because....  "we have a fault on your line". 
You closed the ticket I raised  claiming I had said it was an internal wiring fault, when I clearly didn't.  There are no open tickets to fix this fault (checked this morning) and before you say it,  I've already been told to raise another ticket but you've got a problem on my account and for some strange reason I get this message ;
"Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable
There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a system error.  A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers. In the meantime, if you're still having problems with your broadband please give us a call."
So tell me to raise a ticket and then stop me from doing it.    Now come on folks. 
I know things go wrong and I accept that this problem is more than likely with BTOR but come on, this long to get a phone working ????    You might be working all the hours on it for all I know but how about some  communications ?  The last I had said everything was fixed.  Amazing really, I can feel a Victor Meldrew moment approaching.
Or at least sort out your own systems then I can follow the advice given to me by your own people and raise another ticket.

AndyT
Grafter

Hi Brian,
I'm really sorry for the delay in getting your problem investigated, I can totally appreciate your frustrations.  I've created a new ticket (ref: 105647031), so if you could reply to that we'll get the investigation progressed asap. 
Thanks for your patience and apologies again for the delay.
Andy
b2hbm
Grafter

Thank you Andy.
I now have a ticket created and some response, that was all we wanted.
I've had an email as well which says no external fault has been found with remote testing although of course that isn't certain. What I can confirm is that following that email this afternoon we have again tested what we believe to be the master socket in the house (it has the same colour wiring feed as goes down the outside wall).
We've tested it with 2 corded phones and two filters. Previously we were getting a harsh hissing noise and no dial tone but now we get nothing. Absolutely zilch, no crackles, no dial tone, nothing.  The cordless digital phone in the kitchen is still crackling away like bacon frying, but the master socket is as silent as the grave. 
Thank you again for your reply.
Brian
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Quote from: b2hbm
I've had an email as well which says no external fault has been found with remote testing although of course that isn't certain.

Hi Brian,
That is disconcerting.  Remote testing can only "look down the wires" it cannot see where the wires go.
In some areas using less than professional sub-contractors, it is not unheard of for an "engineer" to nick someone's working line to fix another subscriber's faulty line.
What happens if you dial your own phone number form a mobile?  Does it ring out, give engaged or NA tones?
It is possible for ADSL to limp along with only one side of the pair connected, but that ought to show up on remote testing as a A or B leg disconnected.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We've booked the first available appointment which is Monday between 8am and 1pm
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
b2hbm
Grafter

Matthew, thank you for the update. I also have an email confirming the appointment. If the fault is inside the house, and the guy can show me where it is then I'll happily fork out the £50.  If BTOR would deal directly with people I'd have already paid and had someone here by now, but they will apparently only deal through phone providers.

Kevin,
You clearly know far more about these things than I do, I'm afraif I'm just following tests outlined by Plusnet and have no knowledge of how these things work. 
So thank you for the suggestions.  We've just tried them and would be glad to hear if the results make any sense to you.
The set up is - Master socket with a new filter plus corded phone  in the consumer unit cupboard  and a digital cordless phone with the base station plugged into the kitchen socket.  My wife rang the phone with her PAYG mobile and the one in the kitchen rings out, the master socket phone stayed silent.    I pick up both phones, lots of hissing and crackling on the digital one, no sound on the corded one.  No dialling tone on either phone.
What really floored us was that the mobile phone is still showing the "trying to connect" message despite me having picked up the house phones.  So the mobile network didn't recognise the connection even though the cordless phone stops ringing and goes into very loud crackle mode. 
Our ADSL has been rock steady at 6 to 6.5 but on Sunday it was appalling, it wouldn't even complete the speed tests.  For some reason it's recovered a bit now and I did the tests on the BT site which shows 1.5 to 1.9, well down on the previous results. I also clicked on the "do further testing" on their website which failed because  - wait for it - "there is a fault on the line"  Sad
If you can make any comments on the results I'd be very glad to hear them.  Thanks again for your interest.
Brian
b2hbm
Grafter

Hi again folks.
I thought I'd round off the post with a bit of feedback which might help anyone else with similar issues and add to the collective knowledge. 
A BTOR engineer came today and confirmed the fault on the line with his test equipment, which apparently reads line resistance from the master socket backwards and actually locates the position of the fault on the line.  In our case it was 49m from the house and caused by corrosion at a junction box connection.
The interesting thing is that the test by Plusnet using their remote testing gave the all clear despite the phone having no dial tone.  When you look at the position of the fault, relatively close to the house, perhaps it's not surprising that it wasn't picked up on a test from the exchange to house - I suspect the method just isn't that accurate.  Something to bear in mind if anyone else ends up in the same boat.
Brian
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi Brian,
Glad to hear that you have a resolution to your problem.  The point about line testing is well made, ideally lines need to be tested in both directions, something BTOR engineers sometimes forget.
I once had a repeated condition in which the engineers could not detect a fault when testing up the line, but every time they conducted the remote exit test it reported a line fault.  This was repeatedly put down to a fault in the automated tester.
One day I got a good engineer, who went up the line and tested back towards the property ... He found the line fault!  One should always ask if the eclipse (exit) test reports line clean before the engineer departs.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.