Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caller display

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

caller display

I Have recently purchased a new telephone with caller display facilities which has been activated by BT (This is confirmed by entering *234# on the telephone) the only problem is that it does not appear to be working so I have 2 questions.
1. Could the fact that I have broadband activated on this line prevent caller display from working ?
2. I Removed the third (bell wire) in the faceplate.... this speeded up my internet connection but could it also have prevented caller display from working.
BT suggested trying the phone with all filters removed but this did not resolve the problem. I Know its unlikely to have anything to do with broadband but thought it worthwhile to post this message before contacting BT again. Other than caller display not working both broadband and the phone work ok.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
paulby
Grafter

Re: caller display

Broadband on the line won't stop caller display from working and neither *should* removing the bell wire.
Have you tested in the test socket exposed by removing the bottom half of your master socket as shown in step 4 here?
If it works there then there's a problem with your internal wiring.  If it still doesn't work, either the phone may be faulty or it's a BT problem.  I would try taking the phone to a friend who has caller ID known to be working and testing on their line before reporting a fault to BT.
itsme
Grafter

What's your new telephone, was it purchased in the UK? There are other standard's for Caller Display. I believe that in the UK the caller display information is sent before the phone rings in other countries the information is sent during the ringing. Have you any options to select which Call display method is used.
paulby
Grafter

@itsme
There are a couple of standards operating in the UK too.  BT uses its own standard and Virgin's cable telephone network uses both BT's standard in some areas and a standard developed by the Cable Communications Association in others.
See here.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for the information, amazing their is so much stuff on this single topic, will check out what has been suggested !
We are born into history and history is born into us.