cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed 10, wi fi 0.8, new user, help please.

randm
Hooked

broadband speed 10, wi fi 0.8, new user, help please.

kept getting v. low wifi speed on tablet, so did test via ethernet and got 10 mbs compared to 0.8 on the laptop.

wifi light intermittent but was solid when just tested. box in exactly same place where had previous sky box which gave us excellent speeds via wi fi. just retested wi fi, from same spot and now getting over 10mbs. (So from 0.8 to 10 in two minutes).

almost every day since getting the email that 14 days from set up had passed and that i should be getting 12mb, minimum of 2 . something, the wifi gets extremely slow and i have to do a speed test. I thought all broadband used the same line and speeds should be the same, just the provider changes????

getting peeved. should i connect and use the sky box instead, it was just the basic one you get when taking out broadband, but we had no problems like this.

thanks guys.

13 REPLIES 13
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: broadband speed 10, wi fi 0.8, new user, help please.

Hi @randm, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your wireless connection issues.

On testing the line we're not seeing any sort of issue with the actual connection which is great, as it means that some basic wireless troubleshooting is likely to resolve the issue. We'd recommend taking a look at the wireless guides via the below link first of all:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

If the above tips don't help, please let us know.

randm
Hooked

okay, i have moved the router with no change, i have done a channel search and chose the less used one. still no change. my results today went from high to low within a  matter of minutes. for example 14:55  - 1.72mbps, then 16:06 -10.2mbps, 16:08 - 0.92mbps, 16:10 - 12.1mbps, 16:15 - 2.05mbps, 16:20 - 11.5mbps, 16:26 12.1mbps,  then i decided to put the tablet a couple of metres away from the router at 16:50 - 2.78mbps, moved the tablet a couple of inches away from the router and got 1.70mbps.

There is just no consistency and we are getting fed up now. minimum guaranteed speed 2.5mb.

Am i right in thinking that the router is single band?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Which router do you have?

Which channel did you select?

How did you determine which channel is least used?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @randm,

I'm sorry that you're still experiencing problems with your wireless connection and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. If you're using the Plusnet router that we sent you at the beginning of your contract (the 2704n), I can confirm that this is a single band router.

Please can you try a few other wireless channels and let us know if you still don't see an improvement?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
randm
Hooked

router is 2704n hub zero, finally had to do a search on android phone using wifi analyzer and that gave me a list of best channels to choose at the time.it also show how many devices are connected for each channel/

i have a sky q hub which is dual channel. should i go back to that.?Huh

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @randm,

Thank you for confirming that. I've had a look into this but haven't been able to determine whether your Sky Q router can be configured onto our network or if this is locked to Sky's network. I'd definitely recommend that you try configuring this onto our network to see if it improves your connection. To configure a third party router you will need to consult your manufacturer or your manual to gain access to your router and find the necessary pages and you'll then need to enter the following settings on the relevant page/pages:

Encapsulation Type:PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Username:Username@plusdsl.net
Password: Your account password

Multiplexing Method: VC-MUX
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

If it won't allow you to configure the Sky Q router onto our network, I'd recommend that you try a few different channels on the Plusnet router to see if you notice an improvement in your wireless connection. Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

WiFi on 2704ns can be temperamental! If you have a different router it’s worth a try.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

randm
Hooked

i just wanted to update, i have changed to a different channel, and so far it is working okay, but, and a big BUT, our immediate neighbours consisting of 4 adults and 2 kids have/had just moved out, with all their devices, so, until new tenants move in i will have to leave this on hold.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@randm 

First read this https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review

Then go onto Ebay and buy a BTSmarthub 6, they are very cheap these days. You need the FTTC version which has four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid the FTTP version that has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Use channel 1, 6 or 11.

When your new neighbour arrives, make friends of them, then if their setup is on one of the unhelpful channels, you’ll be able to ask them to change to one of the above to help BOTH of you enjoy a better WiFi experience.

randm
Hooked

hopefully it will be one family who move in, but for many years it has been multi occupants who share the house and change over, so i don't know how they work out what b.b. provider to have, though the last ones put in virgin fibre as f as i k . as the garden was dug up!

randm
Hooked

thank you for your advice, is there just one bt  smarthub 6 fttc, as some of them say infinite and fibre, and we are only using normal bb, not fibre?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Yes the Smarthub 6 does both ADSL and fibre.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'