cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

better router

neilgriffs

better router

Hi all looking to improve wireless range around the house, have the main computer wired but 3 tablets and phones wireless, I live out in the sticks about 5 miles from exchange so speed is only about 1.2 , can any one recomment a ADSL modem/router that will improve wireless range am using the 582n at the moment ,hope to spend about £50 'many thanks
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: better router

You can get a BT Homehub 3 from eBay for less than £15....wireless performance should be better with that.
Or, I'd look at something like something from TP Link - maybe the TD-W8970? It's a Gigabit N router with lots of features.
neilgriffs

Thanks Andy, the 8970 was one I was looking at, seems to fit the bill, a step up but easy set up
AndyH
Grafter

It's probably worth checking to see if fibre is coming to your area before buying a router.
ADSL modem/routers don't tend to be fibre compatible.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'd doubt BT would roll out fibre anytime soon.  It is going to be around 2020 when almost of the UK is fibre enabled either by cable or fttc and other ways i.e 4G phone masts. You can use BT openreach site to find if its going to be available anytime soon HERE
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
apjashley1
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
You can get a BT Homehub 3 from eBay for less than £15....

and they're fibre ready too!
kelvin
Grafter

A number of people have bought the Asus N66U and a thread specifically for this router is running
neilgriffs

Think the Asus is fibre only kelvin, have ordered the top link, many thanks all for opinions
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I expect the ASUS would have worked, though "cascaded" from your existing modem/router (assuming it has "dynamic IP" as a WAN connection option, I have a TP-Link used that way). It also makes the system "fibre ready" but, of course, uses two devices instead of one.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.