cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to disconnect broadband

stanb
Dabbler

best way to disconnect broadband

I have just joined Plusnet from another supplier, with whom I deliberately made the broadband connection when I needed it, and then generally disconnected it to continue with other activities which did not need the connection.
With Plusnet, I note that the broadband connection is on all the time. What is the recommended way to disconnnect it when it is not needed? Would it be to switch the modem off, or to click the 'work-offline' button in the IE file tab? Are these two options the same, or is there a significant difference?
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable

Re: best way to disconnect broadband

Work Offline will do little in reality, it just tells your browser that its not connected to anything - a hangover from the dial-up connection days.
Turning your router off would do it, but you don't want to do it too often for a plethora of reasons.
Can I ask why you would want to disconnect?
Oh yeah, welcome to PN and the Forums! Wink
stanb
Dabbler

Thanks for your comments - they are very useful.
The reason why I normally turn the broadband connection off is just a security measure. I have a firewall (Norton), but I saw no need to leave the PC permanently connected to the internet. However, I would be obliged if you could expand on your comment about there being treasons not to keep turning the modem off.
Thanks for your help.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
When James mentions to not turn off your router too much, a couple of times a day will be absolutely fine.  As long as you're not doing it more than once in a 15 minute period, as BT can see this as a dropping connection, and would then try profiling your line down, to make it more stable.
Not applicable

Another good reason is degradation of electrical components on the boards in the router.
Personal experiences vary, but as a general statement; Routers are designed to be powered on all the time.
No harm will come to them by leaving them on, but each power cycle has the potential to be degrading components.
Its personal preference really - you should note also that your router contains a more powerful firewall than Norton, so you aren't just relying on Norton - whilst your router is connected to the net, its also doing its best to protect you too. (Although I have to admit, having it turned off is *the best* protection :P)
Don't feel like you are being talked into anything you don't want to do - it was more a warning that lots of people have lots of different reasons for leaving them on, one of the joys of internets - we can all get our 10mins on a soapbox!
Not applicable

I know how stanb feels about disconnecting from the Internet because when I first transferred to broadband I had the Voyager 105 USB modem and I used to use it just like dialup and quite liked the idea of just switching it off when I didn't need it.
Now I have a wireless connection (I leave the router on all the time) so I was wondering if stanb has the same, would it not be OK just to click 'Disconnect from........' in Network Connections?  This way the router is still connecting to the line.  Or is it the same as a normal disconnection ('scuse my ignorance?)
Huh
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
Routers are designed to be powered on all the time.
No harm will come to them by leaving them on, but each power cycle has the potential to be degrading components.

Is this an urban myth? Power cycling electronic devices can produce faults but these faults are normally down to poor joints not component failures. Routers will not get power cycled more than the PC so should we leave the PC on 24/7 as well?
PGRGrandad
Grafter

I was interested to read James_G comment about the router's having a firewall built in, I hadn't realised that, would this also apply to my Voyager 210 supplied by Plusnet?
When I set the firewall in my account I had assumed, in my ignorance, I was changing something in the software set up.
Any more info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Pete
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What OS do you use.
If it's Win XP
If you go to control panel, select network connections - you will probablly find an icon for "Ethernet".
If you either click or right click - you will see "disable" - this will turn it off.
To make it more convenient, you can copy this icon and make a short on the desktop, or bottom toolbar.
The you can use this to turn ethernet on & off.
I'm sure there must be a similar method with Vista -?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: PGRGrandad
I was interested to read James_G comment about the router's having a firewall built in, I hadn't realised that, would this also apply to my Voyager 210 supplied by Plusnet?
When I set the firewall in my account I had assumed, in my ignorance, I was changing something in the software set up.

Yes, the Voyager 210 has a built-in firewall. This is independent of the firewall setting in My Account on the website. Both of these act only in the incoming direction; hopefully you also have a firewall such as ZoneAlarm Free or one of the integrated Internet Security Suites on your PC which provides both inbound and outbound protection according to your settings.
David
stanb
Dabbler

I am somewhat overwhelmed by the response to my question, so my thanks to everybody who has replied. Given the strong guide not to simply turn the modem off, my preference is for the solution recommended by Mal08 (and copied below), i.e. to disable the Ethernet network connection:
("If you go to control panel, select network connections - you will probablly find an icon for "Ethernet". If you either click or right click - you will see "disable" - this will turn it off. To make it more convenient, you can copy this icon and make a short on the desktop, or bottom toolbar. The you can use this to turn ethernet on & off.")
My OS is XP Professional, and following his instructions, I now have the LAN icon on my desk-top.
I would also add that I have a 'wired' system using the D-Link DLS-320B modem, and I assume that the comment about the modem having its own firewall applied only to a wireless system. So my only protection is with the Norton FW.
However, before routinely disconnecting from the internet by disabling the network connection, I wondered whether there could be some other unintended consequence which I should be aware of.
chickendippers
Grafter

Disabling the network connection on your PC will have no negative consequences. As your modem remains connected to the internet there is no chance of BT misinterpreting it as a line fault and reducing your speed.
paulby
Grafter

would also add that I have a 'wired' system using the D-Link DLS-320B modem, and I assume that the comment about the modem having its own firewall applied only to a wireless system. So my only protection is with the Norton FW.

Not so!  The firewall will protect all the connection methods. 
You are also protected by Network Address Translation using a router.
Full NAT article here.

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Glad the solution worked for you Stanb - I have been on B/B for about three years ( our village here in Scotland was rather late to get it  Angry   ) and have used it all that time - with no apparent problems.
Like you - I just feel happier knowing the PC is isolated from the net - if I'm not using it - as I leave the PC on all day if at home.
The router is left on all the time I'm in the house - and as other have said this has a couple of firewalls of it's own.
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Thanks Spraxyt .......for the reassurance, I do also run Kaspersky Internet Security 7. I have run the Shields Up test and passed with flying colours so I feel pretty confident about being online all the time my computer is switched on.
Thanks again, this forum is a big help, and well done to all who contribute their expertise.
Pete