cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

be aware of this before signing up

dhanjarus
Hooked

be aware of this before signing up

Having been a broadband customer for over six years I have seen the cost of the service go up to more than double from what it was when I first signed up but have never seen any increase in speed or reliability over this time - it has pretty much stayed as it has been.  However, having finally tired of the ridiculously slow unreliable broadband speeds being provided I decided to go somewhere else who can give a much faster broadband service but here's the rub...AS SOON AS YOU CANCEL YOU WILL BE BILLED £30!  They call it a "cessation fee" but NO WHERE in the T&C's is this figure quoted...I find this OBSCENE! so be aware of this before signing up.

As far as I'm concerned this is a con and will be looking at the legality of not quoting a figure in the T&C's as it could be anything from £5 to £500

14 REPLIES 14
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: be aware of this before signing up

The £30 'cessation charge'  is a BTOR charge levied if you cease your broadband connection.  If you migrate to another ISP who supplies their service over the BT network then the charge does not apply.  NOTE:  Do not 'cease' your service with Plusnet - allow the new ISP to manage the migration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

dhanjarus
Hooked

Oldjim, I know now that the fee is stated in the HELP topics but it is NOT stated in the T&C's

So when you want to cancel you generally look at the T&C's for any cancellation charges - if its stated in Help then why not in the T&C's as well?  What's worse is that when I spoke to the so called customer service about changing provider they never quoted anything about any cessation fee!

dhanjarus
Hooked

not sure I could have got the new provider to cover these "fees" as it is clearly stated that cessation fee is charged if moving away from BT line

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It depends on who your new provider is, if you have chosen an LLU provider - Sky, Talk Talk and others, then the fee applies - if you went to BTW supplied provider it wouldn't. it wouldn't

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Which provider are you moving to?

Oldjim, I know now that the fee is stated in the HELP topics but it is NOT stated in the T&C's

The terms do refer to the price guide, in which the cessation charge is covered amongst others.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
dhanjarus
Hooked

Mate, you ain't never done me proud!

I'm not even sure why I stuck with this rubbish for so long! My shame for sticking with this for SIX effing years!!

Even when the price was hiked up to over double...

Price guide don't show s**t!  I've been around every link but nothing is ever black and white. I'm someone that reads every bit of the small print which is usually the T&C's but ain't nuffin in there as I've already stated.

dhanjarus
Hooked

whats worse is that I wasn't even told about this when I rang a month ago informing about my change in provider

dhanjarus
Hooked

FYI - it's Virgin! ...can you do better than that!...NO!

This was discussed at length a month ago as I said...

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-price-guide-for-residential-products/#broadband-price-guide

Under Plusnet Broadband and Fibre Price Guide then Other Charges2016-12-07_172844.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Its also on the Member Centre under you account summary.

dhanjarus
Hooked

It's funny how you all know where and what these "fees" are but as far as I'm concerned Plusnet [-Censored-] up when their customer service couldn't even tell me this when I spoke to them about wanting a change.  If you long term people with this bit part company are happy with this service then good luck to you - as far as I'm concerned they are just second rate...if you have to use another company's phone lines for providing a service then you are just a middle man.  Consider this, what if I just decide that I no longer want broadband (perhaps I'm happy using my mobile phone data usage as a wifi hotspot) then why should I have to pay the middle man for someone else to come and cut me off.  Why can't they do it themselves? why? cos it ain't theirs to cut off, so why join them in the first place, go join the main man who OWNS that phone line!

I for one won't be ever be recommending these people (and I have six years experience with them) and will make it a case to let everyone else know that they "ain't gonna do you proud" !  IT'S A CON!!!  Hidden charges that their own customer service don't know about or care not to tell you until its to late...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't BT also charge a fee if you were cancelling rather than migrating to another company using the BT Openreach network?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

It's a pound more I think.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet