Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bbci player (insufficient bandwidth)

Blim
Grafter

bbci player (insufficient bandwidth)

hi there,
Right from day one Ive had problems with bbci player but after BT did some work not so long ago the problem stoped. Unfortunately its started up again.
After doing the bbci diagnostic test (speedtest) its shows 14mb connection speed. Im running a ping test to bbc and bbci.co.uk with no problems and a ping of 10-11ms.
I have done a restart of my modem because after the storms we've been having, interleaving would seem to kick in and out of the blue id go from 7. to 8 mil HEC Errors over night.
I would like to highlight I only get high amounts of errors once in a blue moon. The road works in my area have finnished now and since then we have had storms but the errors will only or occur in bursts over a short amount of time maybe once or twice a month.
Other than the clear one second lag in bf3 with 11ping and bbci cutting out every other program seems to be working 120%.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:31:39
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,252 / 21,072
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,247 / 21,176
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 65.17 / 787.89
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.0 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 32 / 20
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 76
32 REPLIES 32
James
Grafter

Re: bbci player (insufficient bandwidth)

I've found over the last few weeks than my iPlayer starts throwing up funky green and black screens when I switch the full screen mode.
Is that what you are getting, or just buffering issues?
itsme
Grafter

What are you actual seeing? iplayer do/did not use hardware acceleration so if you watch HD programmes you get sound but picture is a still very jerky.
Blim
Grafter

buffering issues,

would just stop with the loading/buffering symbol in the center then it would keep playing for while do it again and/or id get the error "insufficient bandwidth".
Blim
Grafter

sorry but can I also add that my snr has reset back to 3db's again but this time it took less than 3 days to reset (didnt even restart my router untill after this happend) . This happend well over a week ago. HEC, CRC Errors and some packet-loss too.
At this point I'm thinking of buying a modem to force this snr. Plus the fix linked below dose not seem to work anymore for me, so I think a better rounter is in need.
community.plus.net/library/gaming/increasing-gaming-compatability-with-the-thomson-tg585v8-xboxps3pc/
Blim
Grafter

am I going to get some help with this or not?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Blim,
I'll send you a Technicolor TG582n router out as you've not had that one for long. It normally takes 2-3 working days to arrive. Let us know how you get on with it.
Jojo Smiley
Blim
Grafter

Re: Poor data transfer rate in general, streaming issues in particular

same here, along with the problems plusnet made on my line whe turnning interleaving off when it wasnt on in the first place. I too am seeing drop it connection speed (not profile speed).
open up task manager and open the network tab. there you can see the consistency of your connection while doing a download/test.

I turnned off the PRO addon because of this and nothing changed at all, as if to say the pro addon was doing nothing. I reported it in a ticket along with other things and was told "the pro addon dose not affect download speed".

"good honest broadband".
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Post moved here from Mikeb's thread as it is a completely different problem
Blim
Grafter

no thanks, if i'm going to pay for a router id like to choise it my self.
I hate cheap things. I'll happly spend over £100 on one knowing its not going to be a problem.
I would be more than happy to send this one back and remove it from my account so not to be charged if I end my contract. considering its not working as it should, I think its just fair I get a refund on the modem.
grudkin
Grafter

Hi Blim!
I would recommend that you give the Technicolor TG582n a try, I got one almost 3 weeks ago and it is a vast improvement over the previous Thompson routers.
My TG582n is giving me a Sync of 18000+ when all other routers I have tried have only ever managed a sync of 17000 at most.  Grin
The TG582n really is a great little router and is worth a go!  Wink
Also Jojo never mentioned anything about charging you for the TG582n!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Blim,
There's no charge. I've sent it as a replacement of the one you already have.
Jojo Smiley
Blim
Grafter

thanks for the router its much better than the last, faster and the dnz setting works.

unfortunately Im still seeing spikes in my connection. one thing that does stand out to me is that my connection seems to be more susceptible to spikes/high-latency/lag when my house mate is on skype. Ive even limited his connection more to stop this but it seems my connections been nerfed. this happend like a week or two ago.
I yet to give bbci hd a good testing but I really dont have the time of usage cap to do this asap.

seem impossible to get a connection that isn't shaped or heavily managed. And the pro addon I was paying for DID stop working and does affect the download speed in peek times or atleast it used to for me.
what am I doing wrong here? should I have gone with a llu isp? I just wont a connection that I control and id happly pay for it.

p.s I left my last isp after buying a £80 router with QoS so to control the bandwidth of the other person on my network, so he cant lag my game out. My old isp would become lagy after 2mb of bandwidth usage. but it would seem no after some time of being a customer with plusnet its starting to happen again. Any fluctuation in latency In todays games is just not good and its happending a lot even when NOTHING is using the net.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

When did you change the routers over? I can see a 10 hour connection that's still up at present and many much shorter ones logged before that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Blim
Grafter

the next day about 12noon.

no upload errors any more but thats because its 6.6 not 6db. So I dont understand why asking for my download snr to be higher than 6 is such a out of the question request. Because thats the only reason Im here. tech wouldnt lock it at 6 or above and clearly after looking at the two router stats, you can see by increasing the snr on my upload its stoped the errors.
But the problem remains, so I guess its not the phone part of the frequency. Im seeing spiky lag in my games and my download speed seems to drop down then back up very fast. The fact that it picks up speed very fast shows its not the server Im downloading from, or at least points to what I'm saying about downstreem snr too low and line speed sync too fast.
Uptime: 1 day, 8:25:07
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.183 / 21.247
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 277,88 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4,1 / 16,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,6 / 3,0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0