cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bb set up

firefly2
Grafter

bb set up

Hello. can some-one tell me please what £40 initial payment represents. have been informed that is what is going out of my bank. I elected to have a twelve month sub for op 1 with free kit and the form seemed to say that the initial would be £16.99. { mths sub and pp for router. thanks. firefly2 Huh
17 REPLIES 17
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: bb set up

Are you totally new to broadband?
firefly2
Grafter

Hi hpsauce.  YES. was dial-up with PN  and  now upgrading to BB. thanks for very quick response by the way. firefly2 Smiley Grin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The £40 charge sounds like the BTw broadband set-up fee which I would have expected to be deferred for 12 months then written off, in the same way that your router cost is being handled.
Looks like a staff member needs to take a look at your account.
David
prichardson
Grafter

A quick inspection shows that neither a hardware or activation offer selection was made in the signup process.
Both of these offers require that they are selected, which is a change from the default selection, as customers felt they did not understand this. As such, it was changed so that a concious choice to select this was needed.
James
Grafter

Hi Firefly2,
As has been mentioneed in this thread, whenever we ask BT Wholesale to activate a broadband service for us, they charge us £40.
When you upgrade your account to broadband, you're presented with three options.  You can either migrate from another supplier, opt for free* setup and pay the initial fee.  You appear to have gone for the latter, hence why you're being charged the £40.
If you would like me to, once your order has gone through, I can refund the £40 and then place you on a deferred contract, which would mean that you would need to pay us the £40 if you were to leave within 12 months.
firefly2
Grafter

Hi James. Thank-you  and every-one for all of the msges. I have  raised a ticket actually as I didn't expect the replies have had.  Will accept the 12 month contract please with the refund of the £40. thanks again and will leave it to you . Betty Smiley Smiley
paulby
Grafter

@firefly2
Did you also want hardware?  Your original post stated that you asked for hardware but one further down from P Richardson says that you haven't ticked the box to order any. 
Maybe worth clearing up with Jameseh?
James
Grafter

Yes - Were you wanting to order hardware your service too?
firefly2
Grafter

HI  Jameseh  >> by hardware > if you mean the router that accompanies op 1 YES PLEASE.  I think that you have actioned an upgrade form that I almost completed. as I wasn't sure of the answer to one "q" > had to break off and close connection in order to phone. I had entered my details on that one but had not clicked on the " accept " box at the bottom. I haven't had bb before  at all so need any connection to get me going. presume that was the PP £6.99 quoted.  hope made everything clear now. thanks  to all firefly2 will keep tuned in > in case. Embarrassed Smiley
James
Grafter

Smiley
I've just placed an order for a modem for you.
qwentyman
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Firefly2,
As has been mentioneed in this thread, whenever we ask BT Wholesale to activate a broadband service for us, they charge us £40.
When you upgrade your account to broadband, you're presented with three options.  You can either migrate from another supplier, opt for free* setup and pay the initial fee.  You appear to have gone for the latter, hence why you're being charged the £40.
If you would like me to, once your order has gone through, I can refund the £40 and then place you on a deferred contract, which would mean that you would need to pay us the £40 if you were to leave within 12 months.

Out of interest, what does BT actually DO - move a plug from one hole to another ...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Out of interest, what does BT actually DO - move a plug from one hole to another ...

I heard rumours of one of our support guys blogging this very soon, I'll see if I can find an update.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just spoken to the person in question and the blog should be ready some time next week. In the meantime I've given him a link to this thread so he can give you a sneak preview.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
prichardson
Grafter

Sneak preview? Fat chance. You can all wait for the finished article.
Plug a cable from one socket into another. Yes, it does go a little something like that, though we are not talking your one port extension socket any more.

That is one big set of cables. Now point out to me which one is X telephone number and how to route a cable from one side of the building to another, amongst the many hundreds of thousands of other lines.
Now you may be catching on to the problem.