cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad ping and slow broadband

monkey001
Grafter

bad ping and slow broadband

everything wasnt to bad for awhile considering my bad exchange but latey its got worse i normally average 38 to 43 on ping but its going from 38 to 70 and my speed is normally around 1.8mb but its dropping to 1mb somtimes and nothing it running.i play alot of online gaming and have noticed it getting worse.i did get a new pc last weekend but only just installed the thinkbroadband speed meter
dont know if this is any help
System Up Time 00:17:10
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 4439 5170 0 1243 3403 00:16:41
LAN 10M/100M 6270 5707 0 3820 1519 00:17:07
WLAN 11M/54M 398 0 0 63 0 00:16:56

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2016 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.9 db 17.0 db

any help would be gratefully
14 REPLIES 14
scootie
Grafter

Re: bad ping and slow broadband

as you most likely know your a long way from the exchange with 63db atten.
that said tho your ping should be stable but as you say your exchanges vp capicty has been bad recently i would blame it on that with the info supplied by your self
whats you ip profiles http://speedtester.bt.com/ and https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
off now to claim the biggest t.v in the house before big brother taints it  Angry some else should be around soon to surrgest a few things i would think
monkey001
Grafter

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.                                                    .............last night
Your DSL connection rate: 2016 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1427 kbps
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2016 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)                              ...............this morning
    IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1054 kbps
Phone exchange:
TWIGWORTH
Estimated line speed:
1.0 Mbps - Checked on 2009-05-09 15:58:18
Current line speed:
yeah right about the distance thing its 1 km walk but they say its 6km lol
scootie
Grafter

Your phone line will taken in all the views of your area before ending up at your house
I wouldnt use the bt speed checker for thoughput. Only to get your profile i would use that.
Use the http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ on the member centre instead
o.k would you fancy trying at the test socket and grabing these sets of stats again.
power down your router before upluging cables. Can you try with out phone connected and all so if you have a couple of filters try both out
This is whats normaly done when people have line faults but lets see if any improvment can be made on this long line and try and get you a few steps up the profile ladder
We are only instrested in the below stats and not thoughput on speed tests as any thoughput results are capped by your profile which can take 3 days to reflect a new higher sync rate and that sync has to be held for the 3 days and not drop
Connection Speed 2016 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.9 db 17.0 db

as your long distance from the exchange i would surrgest syncing your line at midday ish only when noise on your line is normaly at its lowest and higher sync can be gained  and leave it connected.
i would try to avoid syncing an hour before sunset and hour after sunrise and during the night
James
Grafter

Hi Monkey001,
ASBO DOG's raised some decent suggestions that it would certainly be a good idea to follow.
Looking at your line conditions, I don't think that you're going to get any real sort of improvement with regards to your synchronisation speeds and throughput speeds, but hopefully you'll be able to see an improvement in your latency.
monkey001
Grafter

sorry for delay had to get a new laptop blah blah blah
anyway i did what you asked
Connection Speed 2368 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 8.4 db 16.0 db
and thanks for replying
monkey001
Grafter

been told there must be an internal wiring problem but why is my ping still rising between 38 as it normally is up to the 90s while it was still in the test socket ?
scootie
Grafter

are you testing ping over wireless?
whats you vp capicty at your exchange http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
monkey001
Grafter

no test on the think broadband testing kit but have also used speedtest.net which i know isnt the best and pingjolt in cmd.
it says its green twigworth is my exchange
also whats the best way to find my internal wiring problem i did make the builders put bt cable in from the test socket to my office but not the other 2 sockets after i moved in as the bt man told me the alarm cable they used makes your broadband slower
scootie
Grafter

best way is plug the router in right next to the master socket on the test socket which should remove all you extension from the cirucit after you've removed the front faceplate to get to the test socket if your ping ect is stable there then tracing which extension is the problem or removing the bell wires or getting an i plate is the way forward
monkey001
Grafter

yeah that the problem ping wasn't stable from the test socket cause i would have just lefted it there and i also have fitted a i plate which dropped my ping down to low 30s on o2 but with PN the best i can get before it rises again is  around  39ms.
tbh i really not to happy with it at the minute they advertise a stable ping which im not getting haven't had a answer about my ping since wednesday but at the start of having PN it was all fine  Angry Angry Angry
but thanks for helping me out asbo
monkey001
Grafter

i though sky and O2 was bad
i log a fault and clearly state my router is plugged into the test socket and what do they tell me to do ????
this is my third and last try to get this sorted
ive now had to pay BT because you though the problem was with my master socket and its not
paying for a stable ping and not getting it and sync speed keeps dropping
if you cant be bother to answer my fault please let me know ill cancel the direct debt
rant over
monkey001
Grafter

any other help or ideas before i go into a rage ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I haven't gone back over all the posts but have you asked for interleaving to be turned off
monkey001
Grafter

thanks for the quick reply
no i never havent clue clue what it does
all i know is my ping goes from 38 to 500+ just unstable