cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

awful wireless performance

met

awful wireless performance

I have just moved to Plusnet from sky and am starting to regret it.  You basically cant use the wireless setup ,if you are in a different room. If I had known this I wouldnt have switched.  Is there any way to improve this set up.  The Plusnet router is in the exact same place as the Sky hub and the wireless signal is awful if you leave the room.
Can I use a different router than the one Plusnet give you?  I still have the Sky Hub which gave a brilliant signal in other rooms.  Could I use this Hub?  If so could someone tell me how to do it.  Please.
many thanks in advance
Met
10 REPLIES 10
shure
Grafter

Re: awful wireless performance

yes you can, generally speaking.  Depends on the router you have.  The following link will tell you how:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
picbits
Rising Star

Also try setting a different wireless channel on the router - my wireless speeds were terrible until I changed the channel.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The Sky SR101 and SR102 hubs are likely to be locked to Sky so won't work with any other ISP.
One idea you could consider is to switch off the wireless on the Plusnet router and then  use the sky hub as a wireless access point by disabling DHCP on the hub, and then wiring it to the Plusnet router.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
met

Quote from: DomS
Also try setting a different wireless channel on the router - my wireless speeds were terrible until I changed the channel.

Thanks for your reply.  How would I change the channel on my router
met
met

Quote from: zZz
The Sky SR101 and SR102 hubs are likely to be locked to Sky so won't work with any other ISP.
One idea you could consider is to switch off the wireless on the Plusnet router and then  use the sky hub as a wireless access point by disabling DHCP on the hub, and then wiring it to the Plusnet router.

Thanks for your reply.  How would I use the hub as an access point.  I am new to this.
met
dick:green Quote fixed.
bill888
Champion

Strat, I think 'Met' posted a query about sky hub, albeit was incorrectly formatted,  but you have removed it ?
(I've deleted the response I had originally written)
bill888
Champion

Quote from: met

How would I change the channel on my router

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
Try channel numbers 1, 6 and 11.
met

thank you. why not the other numbers?  remember I dont know much about routers
met
dick:quote
geoffa
Grafter

Because whichever channel you choose will also use 2 channels either side of it. The key to decent wifi is to use non-overlapping channels, which restricts the choice to 1,6 or 11.
met

thanks for every ones help
I was thinking of getting a wifi extender.  any makes recommended
thanks
met