cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyon got moved to the new plusnet ( so called 21st century IP address platform?

may123

anyon got moved to the new plusnet ( so called 21st century IP address platform?

I have been moved onto this platform  early March and since then the dynamic IP address allocation capability has become very limited , unlike previously while I was on the general BT platform when IP address allocation was totally random and easy to change IP address by swithcing router off/on or soft switch from the router console page. Now I seem to succeed in changing IP addresses with great difficulty and even then  they can only different in the the last three , right hand side , digits. Furthermore, this process gets stickier , during  the quieter usage times, as in this Easter bank holiday period, so obviously it is affected by how busy other user conncetivity is at the time of trying to switch IP address. Can Anyone who also experienced this change please help advise me what I can do to make it easier to change my IP address on demand , apart from moving to another provider?  Angry Cry
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: anyon got moved to the new plusnet ( so called 21st century IP address platform?

Quote from: may123
what I can do to make it easier to change my IP address on demand

As it is extremely unlikely that Plusnet can magically make their dynamic IP address pool 'less sticky' just for you,  perhaps you should first explain why this is a problem,  then from your underlying issue the forum members here may be able to suggest alternative solutions.
As an example, if you were able to use IPv6 and ensured "privacy extensions" were enabled, then your public facing IP address would be randomly generated each time you started your computer, and would be far less sticky than any ISPs dynamic IPv4 address pool.  Assuming you had a /48 subnet then the random address could be one of 281474976710656.
Huh
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: anyon got moved to the new plusnet ( so called 21st century IP address platform?

Quote from: Nibiru
As an example, if you were able to use IPv6

How is this helpful?  Although not impossible, it's highly unlikely that may123 is on the IPv6 trial so your advice isn't likely to be applicable for some considerable (unspecified!) time Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Things will be stickier in certain circumstances. In some instances you may even get the same IP reallocated after a PPP disconnect/reconnect. Question is, as alluded to by others, why this presents you with a problem?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

@'pwatson' -
Quote from: pwatson
it's highly unlikely that may123 is on the IPv6 trial so your advice isn't likely to be applicable

Why would they need to be on the "IPv6 trial" ?,  I've been using IPv6 constantly for about three years,  
I simply started a free IPv6 Tunnel Broker account, typed the numbers from the account into my router and IPv6 works !.
Nearly 90% of my entire internet usage is IPv6 and is often faster than IPv4 for the same websites !.
Before you say that will need a different router, there are examples of how to configure Plusnet routers on this forum.
I used that as an example, to demonstrate that there were possible solutions, which may or may-not be applicable.
But we won't know how to help until we get to see an explanation as to why the WAN address needs changing on demand,
as that seems a rather obscure and unconventional thing to be doing, seeing as many people prefer having a static IP !
There are many other examples which might help in different scenarios, but it would be pointless trying to make a list of solutions to imagined hypothetical problems, or make further suggestions to solve endless possibilities, when the person asking the question just needs to explain why they have a problem which doesn't affect the vast majority of other customers.  The most likely outcome is that the user just needs to be doing something slightly differently rather than frequently restarting their PPP session to force a WAN address change.
may123

Quote from: Bob
Things will be stickier in certain circumstances.

Thanks Bob, would you please expand on this comment, as I feel that because this so called 21st century platform is a newly establised one with far fewer member accounts at present  than the one I was on before,  the comparatively limited connection/disconnection activity of the other accounts could be the reason why it is difficult for me to get a different IPaddress. I was told by Plusnet telephone support that maybe in future with more accounts moving onto this platform, it may get simpler to change the IP address?
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Why do you want to keep changing IP address? 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's find out whether dynamic IPs really are "stickier" on the "New Network" - "Plusnet - New Network : Reply #221"
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer is given here - "Plusnet - New Network : Reply #222"
So we now know why dynamic IPs don't change as much on the "New Network",   Smiley
but we still don't know why this is important to 'may123', or why it causes a problem.   Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Probably keeps getting banned (by IP) from some site!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

as I feel that because this so called 21st century platform

Just to clarify a point here, you were already on the 21CN platform (that's the one that offers ADSL2+). You've been moved to a new network on the Plusnet side of things.
As others have mentioned, if you can give us an idea of why the IP being sticky is a bad thing for you we can see if we can make any suggestions to help.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.