cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annoying BT wholesale page

chanel

annoying BT wholesale page

Since about one week before, some of website have been re-direct to BT wholesale page (http://194.74.65.98/index.html). Now the situation get worse, around 80% webpages will be re-directed to that annoying page.
What's the problem? I am looking for help. I will be very much appreciate if you could give me any advice.  I am very much frustrated!!
P.S. I am living in the Manchester, Rusholme M14. I thought it might be the problem with the exchange, but I cannot explain why some website still working, i.e. www.plus.net.
5 REPLIES 5
gary
Grafter

Re: annoying BT wholesale page

Hey there,
This usually happens when you've had some sort of glitch on your line and you have sort of half been disconnected but not.
Reason 1 - Is that there is actually a problem in your area on the BT network.
Reason 2 - And most likely is that during the "glitch" you have picked up BT DNS servers from their transit network. The easiest way to fix this usually is turn off your modem/router for about 20 minutes or so, but if that doesn't fix your problem its usually best to manually assign your DNS servers;
Go into your network connections via your control panel:-
Right click properties on your network connection > select "Network protocol (TCP/IP)" > Click properties > in the second section select "use the following DNS server addresses" and then add the following into the two boxes:-
Primary: 212.159.6.9
Secondary: 212.159.6.10
This is assuming your are using windows 2000 or above? if not then let us know and ill repost some instructions for you.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

A couple of the guys in the CSC have seen a few tickets and calls regarding this recently. As yet there's been no pattern, different areas of the country, different account types etc. We used to see this happen quite a bit a year or two back, the cause then was that the connection would drop, would then re-connect to BT wholesale and the router and/or PC would pick up a BT DNS server and would then reconnect with us.
Problem is that BT DNS server only ever replies with the address of the BT Wholesale page whatever site you go to.
The fix in the past, and for the ones that we've seen in the last week is one of two things, either just reboot everything, PC and router and that should fix it. If not then manually specifying the DNS servers tends to fix it.
How to do that in XP is here:
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/dns/changing_dns_xp.shtml
the DNS servers to enter are
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
gary
Grafter

[Thunder stolen by Dave]  Wink
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

It might also help to flush the DNS cache on your PC(s) by opening a command window and typing the following;
ipconfig /flushdns
and hitting [Return].
That will flush the cache. I've had to do this at odd times when XP has got confused about resolving addresses.
Regards, P.
Rikaitch
Grafter

That's weird, because I found I had to define DNS server on Sunday, when I couldn't access anything internet on a second PC. I rebooted my pc, only to find that that now required DNS as well. Sounds like someone forgot to wind the elastic band on the Plus Net DNS server!