cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

akamai technologies?

breakat
Grafter

akamai technologies?

Maybe i should have posted this elsewhere but there's some clued-up guys here so was thinking it probably a better place than a lot to get some help.
Anyway, im wondering, does plusnet do anything with akamai technologies? Like use them for any of their bandwidth or anything? I ask as ive got a constant connection to them and i have no idea where it's come from or what it's doing.
I think it might be interfering with my connection as well since im sure my usage is higher than it should be on some days during the day when im hardly using it. Like today for example, almost 500 mb and ive hardly done anything yet. My usenet connections is realy bad lately as well, connects for couple of seconds then drops off for 20 secs or so, then back for a few seconds then off again.
All scans ive run show nothing untoward on my system; AVG, house call, avast, spybot, malware bytes and super anti spyware.
Does anyone know how i can remove this connection? There's nothing in the registry as far as i can see relating to akamai.
Ive included a screen shot to show the connections. By the way, what's the difference between CLOSE_WAIT and TIME_WAIT ?
Lots of questions, sorry, but thanks to anyone who spreads some light on it.
6 REPLIES 6
paulh
Rising Star

Re: akamai technologies?

google can help with some questions
http://www.akamai.com/html/about/index.html
breakat
Grafter

Thanks for response, but i know what akamai is. The trouble though is that it's 'always' there, and i do mean always Sad
Due to the nature of akamai, and the fact that i always have connections to it (sometimes dozens at a time), it gets me wondering whether im being used for the bandwidth.
Microsoft uses akamai, and my os is windows, so that could be a reason, but it still doesnt explain why i always have the connections as i see no reason to have a constant connection to ms servers, which is why i wondered and asked if plusnet uses them as it would explain the 'always' part.
First time i noticed them was a few weeks ago, they havent been with me much longer than that as i use netstat relatively frequently to see where connections go and to what.  

jnwright
Grafter

I often use TCPView to see what's connecting to what! It can be downloaded from Microsoft Sysinternals.
It gives a realtime view with the connections coming and going and can indicate the program using the running process by right clicking on the one you want to identify.  My Eset NOD32 antivirus often connects via akamai to download.  It also show my UPS, network printers and many other services using the network.
It doesn't need installing, just download it to somewhere on your hard drive and double click on it to run it. Just close it when you've finished!  It produces very interesting results!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: breakat
Anyway, im wondering, does plusnet do anything with akamai technologies? Like use them for any of their bandwidth or anything?

No, we haven't any association with them. If it's any consolation neither my machine at home nor my laptop at work has these entires present when I run netstat.
I ask as ive got a constant connection to them and i have no idea where it's come from or what it's doing.

Windows updates are transferred using Akamai as are many other software updates and images on popular websites such as BBC news, eBay and Amazon.
What programs do you have running on startup? My guess would be that it's a software updater of some description
I think it might be interfering with my connection as well since im sure my usage is higher than it should be on some days during the day when im hardly using it. Like today for example, almost 500 mb and ive hardly done anything yet. My usenet connections is realy bad lately as well, connects for couple of seconds then drops off for 20 secs or so, then back for a few seconds then off again.

You could try turning all of your machines off for a day but leave the router on, that will tell you whether or not the network itselof is being used by anybody else (is it wireless?)
Does anyone know how i can remove this connection? There's nothing in the registry as far as i can see relating to akamai.

Disable your network adapter Wink On a slightly more serous note, have you tried killing processes via the task manager to see which, if any of them, stop the Akamai connections?
Ive included a screen shot to show the connections. By the way, what's the difference between CLOSE_WAIT and TIME_WAIT ?

That's just the state of the machine that's connecting to your computer e.g. whether it's waiting for transmission, timing out etc.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: jnwright
My Eset NOD32 antivirus often connects via akamai to download.

My anti-virus software (Avast, in my case) is also the process responsible for these connections. But I'm not entirely convinced it's downloading updates for itself. I suspect it's taking over the management of connections initiated by other programs so that it can inspect them for signs of evil intent. It's the web & email scanner processes that are associated with these connections.
breakat, if you close your newsreader, web browser & email program (& anything else you think might be 'outward looking'), then wait a few minutes for everything to time out, are these connections still there?
breakat
Grafter

Sorry. I ignored everyone for days, havent been back to check.
Pretty sure ive found it to be java (jusched.exe).
Quote from: Simon
breakat, if you close your newsreader, web browser & email program (& anything else you think might be 'outward looking'), then wait a few minutes for everything to time out, are these connections still there?

Aye, it's 'always' there. Just sits there, looking mean. Must say, im not a fan of the 'always' things Wink