cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ah [Removed]

indybutts

ah [Removed]

Hi folks i know its something simple but stay with me.
Everything is up and running andworking fine.
I have a laptop in another room and i want to use my broadband connection with plusnet so that i can surf from either computer.
I stick one end of the phone cable into my microfilter and the other end into my laptop.
what do i do next pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
cp:red Please do not attempt to swear in the title, see link:rules mod:end
13 REPLIES 13
The_10th
Grafter

Re: ah bollox

You do have an ADSL modem don't you which connects to the microfilter and from the modem to your laptop?
A more common way of sharing connections nowadays is for a wireless ADSL router (e.g. Netgear DG834G) of which the phone line from microfilter connects to the modem part of the router. Then you either connect via a wired Ethernet connection from the 4 port switch on the router or via a wireless connection (802.1b/g up to 54Mbps).
The other way of sharing a connection, and presumably you have Windows XP operating systems, is to use the Internet Connection sharing mechanism where the PC connected to the microfilter acts as a gateway for other users.
If you could expand on the exact setup you have it would be easier to help though.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The next thing you do is unplug the cable you have plugged into your laptop as that is not the way to get connected  Smiley
First, what ADSL equipment do you have?
You normally have 2 possible options but this may involve buying another router:
1) Connect the laptop via a wired Ethernet connection
2) Connect the laptop using a wireless connection.
Until we know what ADSL equipment you have we can't say how you can connect the laptop to your broadband connection.
indybutts

I am sorry folks im a real newbie,by asdl equipment do you mean the router that came with the welcome pack.
If so its the standard voyager 210.
The pc is running windows xp and the laptop is vista.
When i asked support about this they said i didnt need to buy anything else,but that doesnt sound right to even a thicko like me Cheesy
Thanks in advance
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: ah [Removed]

mod:note
Welcome to the forums, but could I ask that you keep language family friendly, and not use disguised swear words in thread titles.
Jonathan
The_10th
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Basic thing to note.
You cannot connect the USB port to the laptop as it won't work on Vista.
So connect the USB port to the XP machine then connect the network port to the Vista machine
You will need to buy a network cable which is long enough to reach the laptop
hulls
Grafter

Or connect either or both computers wirelessly, which will save all those unsightly wires. Wink
John
paulby
Grafter

Or buy a switch (something like this) and plug it into the ethernet port on the router.  You can then plug both PCs into the switch via ethernet.  This means that there's absolutely no software to be installed anywhere and it'll work on Xp or Vista! 
You could aslo add a wireless access point such as this which plugs into your router and will add wireless capability (or buy a wireless router and ditch the 210) allowing you to connect wirelessly as hulls has suggested.
gofaster
Rising Star

I just looked at the Setup Guide for the Voyager 210.
It doesn't include the step of actually connecting the router to the PC. (or of installing the drivers if using USB)
No wonder new users get confused.
I looked at the pdf version of the guide and the missing info is in there. How did it get left off the html version?
qwentyman
Grafter

I'd love an ethernet switch such as Paul03 points to, and only £7 too, but - out of stock! Did a quick search and found a mort of switches from £25 to several hundred £.
Anyone got any advice on make etc for a beginner?
paulby
Grafter

This one will do just as well - and it's in stock.  Or this, if you prefer a "known" brand.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And check out the postage Crazy
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: gofaster
No wonder new users get confused.
I looked at the pdf version of the guide and the missing info is in there. How did it get left off the html version?

Oooh  really?  I'll get *that* sorted I promise you that.