Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on stats

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

advice on stats

Wondered if anyone could offer advice here. I have just finished sorting the local community centres broadband issues, that were caused by a broken extension. As they had an nte5, I had a spare filtered faceplate, so used that and instead of the flat extension cable, wired them a dedicated adsl line to an rj11 linebox. All went fine, but the stats are dreadful, and I am presuming they are banded.
Downstream 288  upstream varies from 288 to 488. Down snr 9db, up not reported. Down attn 56db, up 31db. The bb has not been working for ages, but they have kept the router on trying to sync, and also when it was working switched off the router when finished using the pcs. (Router is an old dlink dsl-504).  The bb is with bt, but they have refused to do anything as the bb package is so old!!!!!!!. They struggled to fjnd that bb was active on this line at all, what a shower!!!!!. Anyhow they want to move them to a business product, before they will do anything, so I was thinking of moving them to plusnet. Its ridiculous, they refused to put me through to technical support, as i suspect a line reset is all thats needed.
As a charitable organisation, do they need a business product. Sorry for 2 questions in 1. I dont mind reposting some of this in a more approptiate section
7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: advice on stats

The speed is so low that (depending on the modem/router) the other stats may not be particularly accurate. 288k upstream may have been the upstream rate set on some old fixed rate products.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks... I know its a bit cheeky asking for help with this, but on looking at bt products, i will be pushing them to love to plusnet.... I suppose next step is to connect router to test socket, just to  double check the stats. I find it amazing that bt cant check the line as its an older product... Surely this dosnt matter... I am sure plusjet have people still on very old legacy products they still have to support
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Also the router is ancient and doesn't support ADSL2+.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Yeah i know... This line, as far as i can tell was setup around 10-12yrs ago and nobody has since done anything with it. I am not even sure what the package is. The chap who set it all up is no longer involved, so seems i have been lumbered with it.
Any dct care to comment on the need or not of a business package for this kind of establishment
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's likely to be Monday before DCT are around to advise on the type of account needed. Possibly depends on the primary purpose for having the line (ie is it social - visitor personal, or centre management?).
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Its primarily used for informal computer classes. They have a small network of 8 pcs, used for the classes, basic stuff like word processing internet browsing and suchlike. I seem to have been 'voluntered' to sort this out Crazy
Not really had a chance to have a good look at the setup, the time i have spent has been troubleshooting the internet access.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We'd be able to do that as a residential account type, but if they're not using the phone line it might actually be worth them (you?) looking at our business line rental only options - it might work out cheaper, especially if they can claim VAT back. Just a thought.
If they don't want to go that way though as I say a residential account would be fine Smiley