cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on old phone line ( telecom) not BT

tony306l

advice on old phone line ( telecom) not BT

i have the old ancient telecom wiring and master socket  probably the old bell line in my house and i think it is the problem with constant drop outs and poor speed
set up as goes
outside overhead cable from telegraph pole to black junction box then black cable to small internal junction box underneath window sill then white extention cable to master socket 
right the master socket is very very old it does not have bt on it has the old telecom logo ( witch a letter T in a circle in silver )
last year BT replaced the overhead cable from telegraph pole but did not check internal lines why i dont know but now i been trying to explain about this buzzing on my pone to which no 1 can hear during tests even with other phones connected so not phones
would i be right in saying this need to be replaced or at least looked at because i am getting very frustrated no one will listen to me  when i say how old the line is even with my old ISP provider ...
surely this line setup up is not suitable and needs upgrading or something
please anyone advise me what i can do 
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: advice on old phone line ( telecom) not BT

Sorry to say that all internal wiring is the responsibility of the householder hence the reason that BT did not inspect it last year. If you dial 17070 and select option 2 which is a quiet line test can you hear the buzzing?
tony306l

17070 does not work just hear the buzzing ????
is it an auto service or something it just nothing there Huh
i was under impression that as from black box out side to master socket is BT property if it has there logo on it and only them can touch it by law ????Huh
itsme
Grafter

The T logo was used by BT between 1980 to 1991.
17070 should work on all BT lines. The first thing you will hear is the number of the line if it's not withheld. If it is then 147017070 need to be dialled to hear the number. The only other time that 17070 is if it's on a featurenet system and a 9 has to be dialled first.
I assume that you are using filters on every phone that's used?
tony306l

yes i have 1 phone in house with filter on tried all 3 filters that i have 2 routers 2 different pc,s ..
17070 will not work nore will 147017070 tried both numbers i am on plusnet phone and broadband

still all i here is buzzing after i dial number
no options are given its just dead
i got dial tone make and receive calls all ok but the buzzing is always there during calls its even there if i put phone straight to socket with out router or filter connected and it has been since bt replaced overhead cable
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Someone on TBB suggested this:
Have you inadvertently changed the dial settings on your phone from tone to loop disconnect dialling ? This would cause what you describe.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi
Sounds like you have a line fault.
Best thing to do is contact Plusnet support on 0800 432 0200, they can advise on checking your line and if necessary arrange for BT Openreach to effect a repair.
Also it may be worth a visit to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm and read through the various fault help pages.
Derek