cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl router syncing problems

akaneria
Grafter

adsl router syncing problems

hi, i'm having a problem with my adsl, the router is only syncing at 4400kbps, whereas previosly for the past 2-3 years it has been around 7800-8000kbps, this has never happened before. please could someone look into this for me.
appreciate it
40 REPLIES 40
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: adsl router syncing problems

From checking your connection logs it does seem like there's an issue with intermittent sync. I'd recommend testing from the master socket with all the other equipment normally plugged into the line removed (including faxes/sky+boxes if you have them) and if the connection still drops then raise a fault via the wizard at http://faults.plus.net.
Hope this helps,
akaneria
Grafter

ive raised an issue on the faults wizard but they state there is nothing out of the ordinary.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've passed this back through to the faults team for you, there should be an update by the end of the day.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

akaneria,
Are you sure you have eliminated all possible causes within your own wiring as suggested earlier?
akaneria
Grafter

yes i have. I removed all connections and plugged the modem router into the master socket
akaneria
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
I've passed this back through to the faults team for you, there should be an update by the end of the day.

hi,
the problem is not the disconnections of the modem, becuase i am just rebooting the router. The problem is that the bt line is not syncing up at the correct speed it (7800kbps),as it was for the past 2 and half years. its only syncing at 4064kbps.
ADSL Link              Downstream        Upstream
Connection Speed 4064 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation         25 db       5.5 db
Noise Margin                   9 db           25 db
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I realise that, but unless the line speed has fallen below 400kbit/s (as opposed to the 4000+kbit/s you have currently) BT do not regard the line to be faulty, hence your fault would have been rejected. However the main cause of dropped profiles such as this is an intermittent connection and as I advised you in the earlier post we have seen these disconnections in your logs.
I would recommend leaving the investigation as one of intermittent sync, as a speed fault will not be investigated by BT.
akaneria
Grafter

hi,
thanks for the recommendation, i dont think i will persue this.
However i have been thinking, on the 9th of september a transfer took place my phone line is now supplied by talk talk, HOWEVER my line rental is still with BT (Option 1). Could this have caused the problem? Previously i was on talktalk i was still getting 8meg then i moved to BT option 3 now i have moved back.
thanks
James
Grafter

If you line had been fully unbundled with TalkTalk you would have a connection with us at all, so I don't think that this is the cause of the problem.
An intermittent sync problem would potentially cause you to receive extremely poor speeds as the chances of you having a slow resync event would be higher.  Once the intermittent sync fault is fixed, speeds should return to normal within a few days.
akaneria
Grafter

Quote from: James
If you line had been fully unbundled with TalkTalk you would have a connection with us at all, so I don't think that this is the cause of the problem.
An intermittent sync problem would potentially cause you to receive extremely poor speeds as the chances of you having a slow resync event would be higher.  Once the intermittent sync fault is fixed, speeds should return to normal within a few days.

hi sorry to sound stupid but how would the intermittentant sync fault be fixed? would it be corrected on the bt side of things or would it be down to me?
thanks
James
Grafter

Sorry, I should have been clearer.
If you wish us to continue the investigation with BT, then we would need to do this as an intermittent fault and based on the assumption that it isn't your hardware causing the problem, then it would be BTs responsibility to fix this.
akaneria
Grafter

sure James,
but before any of this goes any further i need to check again my hardware. i'm pretty sure its not the hardware.
what would be the next step when the fault has been reported to bt as intermittant?
James
Grafter

Hi again,
We would send it to BT.  BT would run various tests on your line and if they were unable to find a fault, the next step would be to send an engineer to visit you.
akaneria
Grafter

Quote from: James
Hi again,
We would send it to BT.  BT would run various tests on your line and if they were unable to find a fault, the next step would be to send an engineer to visit you.

hi,
i have just unplugged all the phones and connected the modem router to the master socket. before connecting it to the master socket the speed was syncing at 4400kbps but now its at 6500kbps. but is should be syncing at 8000.