Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl modem upgrades

gingerninjer

adsl modem upgrades

HI there 

newb to forum 

i  have disastrously  slow   speeds on  adsl .( fibre promised but been saying taht for over a yr )

i was wondering if it was worth buying an aftermkt  modem/router 
and if  so what would u reccomend ?

thx

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: adsl modem upgrades

please provide the information requested here https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#U1270245 and are the slow speeds wired or wireless

gingerninjer

its  dire.. i am told   BEST   i can  get  is like 1-1.5mb 

but the  wifi download speeds  are  rediculous ..  coannt stream  netflix //  can   barely watch  youtube
took  like 45 mins last night to  download  and upgrade itunes

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@gingerninjer

In very simple terms, the speed of ADSL connections are influenced by the length of the wire to the exchange and the state of any internal wiring in your house.

You will have a speed estimate for your location 

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

What does this give ?

I would also try the router directly plugged in to the master socket and the rest of the phone wiring disconnected (if you can manage without the phone) or on a splitter.

Leave it like that for some days and see if matters improve.

Also, if your phone line is noisy, report a fault with that (as a phone fault)

There are some routers which are a bit better with "difficult" lines but I suggest you try this approach first.

I am the satisfied customer....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

In all honestly, you're going to struggle to stream based on the estimates for your line.

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- --

You're connected within the estimate range too:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 42.3 65.5
SNR Margin: 4.8 2.5
Errored Seconds: 8 9
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 2952 4683
Speed: 762 2991
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gingerninjer

ok  

so just shut up and  deal with it....

but is there a better option of router    over and abovethe standard  plusnet version? 

woud this  help in any way   with my wifi?   or  not  worth the money >?

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Given your downlink loss of 65.5dB and the fact you are already operating at a low snr of just 2.5db I would say your router/modem is doing very well. If you look at the estimates here that are based on 6db snr and add another 1200kbps for the 3db difference you are about right, it also calculates your ~4.7kms from the exchange and that may well be worth checking in case there is a fault causing excessive attenuation. frankly IMOP you would be wasting your money on another router EXCEPT to give you better diagnostic information and traceability using one supported by the DSLSTATS package.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@gingerninjer

You are a long way (by ADSL standards) from the exchange, seemingly around 4.5km if I'm reading the attenuation vs distance chart correctly.

You might get some marginal improvement in line performance with another router but you could spend  quite a bit of money experimenting.

Assuming that you have a local cabinet which gets fibred that will improve matters in the longer term but isn't an immediate fix.

I'm guessing that you are in a fairly rural location. It is possible to use the mobile network (or another phone line) to add capacity if you get a suitable router but getting this to work isn't easy to get right.

For example

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/load-balancing

If you want to invest a few £10's in experimenting with load balancing between a mobile connection and the ADSL line you could try a second hand Draytek 2820N (be careful there are versions which don't have WiFi) and a suitable 3G dongle.

Other routers support 4G but will probably cost you more.

I am the satisfied customer....